University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, November 9, 2006



Members:   L. Atkinson, G. Boudreaux, B. Butler, K. Cole, P. Downes, M. Harvey, H. Holt, B. Hook,

                  D. Lisnerski, J. McClain, C. McKenzie, M. Moseley, G. Nallan, B. Sabo, B. Wilson,

                  J. Wood. 

Alternates: C. Bell


Excused:    S. Judson, B Larson; M. Padilla.


Visitors:      M. Alm, R. Booker, L. Friedenberg, E. Katz, J. Konz, J. Kuhlman, A. Lange, B. Massey,

                  J. McKnight, A. Shope, B. Spellman.




I.        Call to Order, Introductions, Announcements

          Dr. Gary Nallan called the meeting to order at 3:20 pm and welcomed Senators and guests.  Introductions were made throughout the room.  Dr. Padilla was out of town.


II.       Approval of minutes

          The minutes of October 17, 2006, and October 19, 2006, were approved with an editorial correction. 


III.      Student Government Association Report (SGA)

          Anna Lange gave the Student Government Association report in John Noor’s absence.  He was presenting his undergraduate research today.  Ms. Lange read Mr. Noor’s report. 

          Following are issues that the Faculty Senate and SGA need to address:

  • Textbook rental policy.  We need to offer direct and explicit alternatives to the rental policy and outline a process for implementation. 
  • Immediate attention is needed to the ILS and Advising programs currently offered.  Many students have complained about the new ILS system in general, but particularly the comprehension of degree and general education requirements by faculty in the advising process.  Advising training sessions are offered to faculty but they are not mandatory.  Students are taking classes that they think will qualify for their degree requirements and are being told by faculty that they are satisfactory, but then find out later that the classes will not apply.  Not all faculty have an adequate understanding of the cluster and new degree requirement system but they are still advising students. 
  • Students are also having advising problems within departments.  A student reported that her department had picked professors within the department to specialize in advising for her specific concentration.  Her faculty member had more than 70 advisees and she had 15 minutes to talk with her advisor.  The advisor expected her to have her schedule filled out when she came in so that all the advisor needed to do was give her the RAN number.  This is not advising.  Every faculty in every department should be able to accurately advise on every concentration within their department.  This would diminish overloads on faculty and provide better information to students.  We pride ourselves in the attention that we spend with students; students are frustrated because in some cases the lack of correct advising is adding more semesters to their time at UNCA which becomes a huge expense to students and their families. 

Ms. Lange added: 

  • The SGA passed a Sustainability Resolution for the campus that would require a sustainability coordinator at the vice chancellor level.  The resolution will be forwarded to the Faculty Senate. 
  • The SGA benefited from a Strategic Planning session with Chancellor Ponder on October 25th.
  • Students are now taking part in the discussion of allocation of student fees and tuition. 


IV.     Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee (CSAC)

          JoAnne McKnight reported for the Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee. 

          CSAC is in the final planning stages of projects that are intended to be unveiled early next semester.  The projects include a new CSAC website as well as the establishment of a format which will be used by CSAC representatives to meet cyclically with staff in the area which they represent.  Both measures are being developed to foster more viable and visible cross-communication with staff; to slay the rumor-mill and replace it with a transparent process; to work in a proactive manner to establish a positive attitude, first among staff and then across all levels of the university community; and to solicit further input from staff to create and implement creative ways to acknowledge the outstanding jobs that employees routinely do. 

          The “new” CSAC body and leadership that came into place in August, 2006, has been working diligently on campus committees, to provide staff presence and input. 

·         CSAC served on the University Community Council (UCC) which held a series of campus meetings and identified critical issues for staff.  Most notable achievement of the Chancellor in concert with this group is that the salary of every employee on campus is now either at the base of or within the salary range that is appropriate for the work which they do.  UCC continues to work to provide training opportunities for staff and to investigate and ensure proper and consistent application of law mandated policies such as those that affect how comp time is to be used to benefit employees.

·         CSAC serves now as conveners in the Strategic Planning Process that is taking place during this academic school year.  Dr. Ponder has a national reputation as one of the finest strategic planners in higher education today.

·         CSAC serves on the Distinguished Staff Member of the Year Committee.  Every year a staff member is selected who has served this campus in ways that are above the norm.  This person receives an award and a monetary boost in appreciation for the service rendered.  This year, the committee’s goal is to ensure that the recipient is honored in ways that parallel the distinctions afforded the faculty member who receives the parallel Faculty of the Year Award.  It is also looking at innovations designed to broaden the idea to include more than one staff member.

·         CSAC serves on the Chancellor’s Office Support Study Team.  This is a team that is currently seeking to update the job descriptions of the administrative support teams that are so vital to the academic function of the university. 

     UNC Staff Assembly

          UNC Asheville representatives to the UNC Staff Assembly are:  Connie Schaller, Jonalyn Crite, JoAnne McKnight and Nancy Williams.  As the Staff Assembly meets twice a year, the real work of the Assembly will be done in the committees that are charged to work in-between sessions.  The UNCA team has expressed an interest in serving on the following committees:

                   Communications and Technology


                   Human Resources

                   Innovations and Initiatives

                   Legislative Priorities

                   Staff Development


V.      Administrative Report

          Dr. Nallan announced that Mark Padilla was at VMI on a site visit.  Sandra Byrd’s meeting with the Faculty Senate has been postponed until November 30th. 

          Annual Report of Vice Chancellor for Alumni and Development

          Vice Chancellor Bill Massey reported for Alumni and Development.  The report is available at:  Annual Report of Vice Chancellor for Alumni and Development.   

·         Mr. Massey noted the impressive gain in the investment pool of the endowments.  The Investment Committee which comprises members of the Trustees Board and members of the Foundation Board decided over a year ago to move 50% of our endowed assets to UNC Management Company.  It was created by UNC Chapel Hill to manage its $2 billion endowment.  Several years ago they were given permission to manage, upon request, the endowments or any portion of the endowments, of the 15 constituents and the affiliated organizations, such as public television.  It has a very aggressive, very successful, actively managed portfolio that ranks in the top 10% of all university endowments nationally.  This allows us to get into funds that we would not be able to get into otherwise.  Fifty percent of the endowment was kept with the more passive management in mutual funds.  Now that we have exceeded $20 million in the endowment, both in growth and additions to it, the committee will be reviewing that portion of the endowment to see if they want to move more of it into the more aggressive stance. 

·         The Friends of the University still tend to be non-alums rather than our own alums.  We had a drop last year in the percentage of alumni who participated in giving to the university.  We have addressed that and to date we are showing progress and are recouping some of that.  It remains to be an issue.  If we do not have regular communication with alumni, we have no right to expect their loyalty.  Some departments do a good job of keeping in touch with alums but the university has simply not made a commitment.  There is nothing that we do any time of the year that goes to all alumni.  It is not an absence of talent or ability or knowing that it is something that we need to do – it is a cost issue.  At one point we only had the addresses of about 50% of our alumni; we now have the addresses of 95% of them. 

·         Mr. Massey’s main concern is the question – are we going to the same pool of people over and over again and tapping into their generosity.  He has never lived in a community that is more generous to a university than the Asheville area is to this university.  For our future’s sake, that pool needs to expand.  His second concern is the alumni problems just described.  The spirit and the can-do attitude of staff and faculty and students is remarkable.      


VI.     Executive Committee Report

          Gary Nallan reported for the Executive Committee.

          Faculty Assembly

          Peg Downes reported President Bowles’ top two priorities:

·         Need-based financial aid:  25% of the proposed tuition increase would go to financial aid.

·         Increasing faculty salaries to bring each campus up to the 80th percentile of its peer institutions.  President Bowles will request that this take place over the next two years.  He is also requesting a 4% annual cost-of-living increase to faculty salaries.  UNCA was particularly mentioned during the meeting of the Faculty Assembly’s Budget Committee as in notable need of increase in faculty salaries.  The Board of Governors will consider the proposed budget on November 10, 2006.

o        Other items in the proposed budget include:

§         Resources for summer bridge programs, to ease high school students into the universities

§         Resources for research that is driven by NC economic needs

§         Scholarships for more and better K-12 public school teachers

§         Resources to support the “Arts & Sciences campuses” – that is UNCA, NC School of the Arts, and the School of Science and Math ($500,000 was the total figure mentioned).

·         President Bowles will try to convince the Board to pass the budget; if passed, it then goes to the Governor, and then, the 3rd week of June, to the General Assembly.

·         To encourage the General Assembly to look kindly on us, the Faculty Assembly will pass a resolution in January, supporting the increase in faculty salaries, and they will soon be requesting that each campus’s Faculty Senate pass a similar resolution in February. 

·         Other pertinent and interesting remarks by President Bowles:

o        He stated a state-wide need for “teachers, nurses, and the liberal arts.”

o        He declined to get into detail about tenure and post-tenure reviews, when someone posed the question to him, but he emphasized that “Service has to play a very important role on our campuses.”

o        He had thought that to save students hundreds of dollars each semester, a textbook rental system should be set up on each campus; he was persuaded that this would be difficult and expensive to implement, and thus, at this point, asked strongly that we exhort our colleagues to get their book orders in early – a few months before a semester begins.  He said, “We must inform students earlier about what books they’ll need to buy for their classes.”

o        This week, a UNC System Grievance Committee is to be announced, but there is some concern that it is composed of administrators mostly, not faculty.  It includes two faculty. 

o        In a meeting of the Task Force on Assessment, chair Gary Jones strongly suggested that the Task Force consider recommending three additions to the required curriculum throughout the UNC System: that students learn about Ethics; Sustainability; and Community Engagement.

o        Also discussed in that Task Force meeting was the need to develop a new category for assessing administrators – i.e., to list the characteristics of an Outstanding Administrator.  Meg Morgan at UNCC asked that anyone with ideas send her suggested criteria:  The understanding of this Task Force is that each campus has some procedures for the faculty to regularly and confidentially review the administrators who affect their work and their lives – in accordance with the motion passed by the Faculty Assembly in April 2005.




          SGA was encouraged to compare our Bookstore’s pricing guidelines with the National Association of College Bookstores guidelines on mark-up patterns to find the degree to which we are out of line with the normal practices. 

          Senators discussed the importance of instructors ordering books early; listing books on syllabi and emailing specific information to students early; the need to give ISBN numbers; and the possibility of setting up a web form that takes the data and sends it to the Bookstore and to a website for students simultaneously.   Betty Wilson serves on the Textbook Task Force and will send to the Faculty Senate a copy of its report which will be finalized next Wednesday.     

          Faculty Assembly Representation

          Dr. Nallan explained that our current Faculty Assembly delegates are Gwen Ashburn and Cathy Mitchell.  Dr. Mitchell is retiring at the end of this semester.  Alternates Peg Downes and Lora Holland consulted with the Executive Committee who supported their request that Dr. Downes serve as a delegate beginning next January along with Dr. Ashburn.     


VII.    Institutional Development Committee Report

          Peg Downes reported for the Institutional Development Committee in Dr. Larson’s absence.

          Guidelines for Institutional Centers

          IDC is reviewing a proposal on guidelines for institutional centers at UNCA.  The proposal addresses how an institutional center can be established, how and when these centers should be reviewed, and under what circumstances an institutional center should be discontinued. 

          NEMAC (the National Environmental Modeling and Analysis Center) is the only institutional center that has been approved by our Board of Trustees.  Two other centers are on General Administration’s approved list but have yet to be presented to our BOT – the Environmental Quality Institute (EQI) and the Mossbauer Effect Data Center.  IDC is developing permission to plan and permission to establish procedures for centers, similar to the state procedures for planning/establishing new degree programs. 

          We have other centers, such as the Key Center, that are on campus but are not listed by GA as approved and they are not institutional centers.  They are not approved by our Board and they have not applied for institutional center status.  These include the Asheville Center for Social Research, the Center for Jewish Studies, the Center for Human Rights, the Center for Diversity Education, the Key Center and the Center for Teaching and Learning.


VIII.   Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report

          Don Lisnerski reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

          Second Reading:

          The following document was considered for Second Reading:

          FWDC 1:  Proposal to establish the “Library, Information Resources, & Technology Committee”

                         as a new Standing Committee replacing the Computing & Telecommunications

                         Committee and the Library & Media Services Advisory Committee (Replaces SD7403S;

                         Faculty Handbook 6.5.3; 10.4.4; 10.4.13


          The Senate discussed the composition of the committee and the need to balance the number of faculty and administrators with voting privileges.  FWDC 1 was withdrawn; an amended proposal will be forthcoming for second reading.  

          Update on Faculty Mentoring Program

          The coordinators of the faculty mentoring program are working on a function for early spring semester.  Surveys will be sent to new faculty (first and second year on campus) to learn what areas they feel they need additional information on and whether workshops may be needed.  Additional mentors are needed. 

          Faculty Committee Sunset Policy

          At the University Service Committee’s request, FWDC is considering a faculty committee sunset policy as a way to eliminate committees.  Some committees are only meant to meet once a year and they should not be eliminated. 

          Adjunct Faculty meeting

          Dr. Lisnerski met with some adjunct faculty members who indicated an interest in having the Adjunct Faculty Committee continue.  A number of issues were discussed – the majority of issues tended to be department-oriented rather than university-wide.  Several adjunct faculty members plan to call a meeting of all adjuncts to see if there is interest in continuing the committee to deal with their specific issues. 


IX.     Academic Policies Committee Report

          Claudel McKenzie reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

          Sense of the Senate Resolution

          APC discussed the resolution distributed at the last Senate meeting.  Ms. McKenzie noted the assessment period under section 2 and the third paragraph of the rationale.  She moved approval of the Sense of the Senate Resolution on behalf of the APC.  The resolution follows: 


Sense of the Senate Resolution:                       Deadlines for Grades:  Fall, 2006




Current Schedule                                                           New Schedule


Tuesday (December 12) finals end                                  Tuesday (December 12) Finals End


Thursday (December 14) noon: grades due                      Wednesday (December 13) noon: senior grades due


Friday (December 15) noon:  all grades due


Saturday (December 16) Graduation                                Saturday (December 16) graduation        


Faculty are encouraged to submit their grades, especially for seniors, as soon as possible rather than waiting until the deadline.


2.         ASSESSMENT

The Registrar’s Office will report to APC in February on two issues: the ability of the office to

complete their task in the time allotted and the degree to which faculty complied with the deadline.



This fall UNCA experiments with a December graduation.  Early estimates indicate between 160 and 170 students will be eligible to participate.  Before a student can graduate, the Registrar’s Office must certify seniors as having met graduation requirements.  The complexity of the task is one reason why senior grades must be submitted early.  The traditional UNCA practice has been for faculty to submit senior grades before the final examination period.


Realizing the difficulties associated with submitting senior grades early, the individual responsible for certification is willing to do what she can to alleviate the burden.  The change in the deadlines for the Fall, 2006 semester permits seniors to take exams with other students, while still allowing the certification process to be completed in time for the ceremony. 


This is a short term solution to a burden placed on the registrar’s office.  The assessment report will aid in planning for possible future December graduations and help APC determine whether it might be possible to do away with early senior grades for the spring semester.


Ms. McKenzie added that Pat McClellan said that she would be the one to implement this change if it passes the Senate.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Moseley.  The Sense of the Senate Resolution passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0206F. 


          Second Reading:  [Unanimously approved by APC]

          The following documents were considered for Second Reading:


          APC 1:  Adding new course ECON 355: Open Economy Macroeconomics

          APC 1 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0306F.


          APC 2:  Revising Concentration in International Economics

          APC 2 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0406F


          APC 5:  Adding ASTR 321, 322, 380, 411.  Adding Special Topics, ASTR 171-474.

          APC 5 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0506F


          APC Approved as Minor Proposal:

[Senators review Minor documents via links on the agenda emailed campus-wide.]

          APC 3:  Change Scheduled Offering of ECON 245, 314, 330, and 361.

          APC 3 became Senate Document 0606F. 


X.      Old Business

          Dr. Nallan reminded Senators that Leah Mathews chaired the Task Force on Student Rating of Instruction.  Dr. Nallan and Bruce Larson (as Director of CTL) met with Dr. Mathews to discuss the next step following the Task Force recommendations.  Dr. Larson volunteered to convene a group to discuss issues concerning student rating of instruction, how that information is gathered from the students, and how it is used by the administration in evaluation.  Dr. Larson suggested that the group include former directors of the Center for Teaching and Learning, Archer Gravely, and participants in the Learning Circle on The Learning Paradigm College by John Tagg.  Dr. Larson will report to the Executive Committee. 

          Dr. Sabo suggested that Dr. Mathews or another member of the Task Force participate in the discussions.  The final report had a series of recommendations that he would like to see addressed.  This would eliminate duplicating work and would keep the group on task. 


XI.     New Business

          Dr. Lisnerski asked Dr. Downes to elaborate on President Bowles’ comment to the Faculty Assembly that “Service has to play a very important role on our campuses.”  Dr. Downes stated that President Bowles did not elaborate on the type of service.  Dr. Lisnerski noted that FWDC has been discussing how to get faculty to appreciate the need for service and how that is communicated through the administration.   


XII.    Adjourn

          Dr. Nallan adjourned the meeting at 4:30pm.


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Don Lisnerski