University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, November 30, 2006



Members:   G. Boudreaux, B. Butler, K. Cole, P. Downes, M. Harvey, H. Holt, B. Hook, S. Judson,

                  B. Larson, D. Lisnerski, J. McClain, C. McKenzie, G. Nallan, B. Sabo, B. Wilson,

                  J. Wood; M. Padilla. 


Excused:    L. Atkinson, M. Moseley.


Visitors:      M. Alm, P. Catterfeld, A. Hantz, P. Hunt, J.M. McGlinn, E. Katz, J. Kuhlman, A. Lange,

                  D. Perkins, A. Shope, K. Whatley.




I.        Call to Order, Introductions, Announcements

          Dr. Gary Nallan called the meeting to order at 3:20 pm and welcomed Senators and guests.  Introductions were made throughout the room. 


II.       Approval of minutes

          The minutes of November 9, 2006, were approved as written. 


III.      Student Government Association Report (SGA)

          Anna Lange reported for the Student Government Association.

  • Four representatives attended the ASG meeting in Fayetteville last weekend to finalize the Sustainability Resolution for the state.  She anticipates passage of the resolution in January. 
  • John Barnes and John Noor will attend the Council of Student Body Presidents’ meeting next weekend in Winston-Salem.
  • SGA has completed the Fee Committee process; recommendations were sent to VC Pat Hunt.
  • The Sustainability Resolution will be sent to faculty members and senior staff soon. 


IV.     Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee (CSAC)

          There was no Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee report. 


V.      Administrative Report

          Dr. Nallan announced that Chancellor Ponder may join us later in the meeting.

          Annual Report of Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations

          Vice Chancellor Pat Hunt reported for Finance and Operations. Report from Vice Chancellor of Finance and Operations. 

          In the first few months as Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations, Ms. Hunt has focused on refurbishing the departments within Finance, an area that has been significantly understaffed.  As a result, the University has relied on individuals to take on an unusual assortment of duties as well as an unreasonable amount of work for some time.  Ms. Hunt provided an update on progress toward a fully-staffed, better organized, more customer focused Finance area.  During this transition, the success of the reorganization will require equal measures of compassion, patience, and good humor.  

          Textbook Study Task Force Report

          Dean Whatley discussed the “Report on Implementation of Recommendations on Costs of Textbooks” that we are required to submit with our budget requests.  A committee worked on this according to guidelines issued by General Administration.  All groups potentially affected by textbook policies were represented on the committee -- academic, financial, student, faculty, financial aid, and bookstore staff representatives.  The Committee considered:  textbook rental, online ordering, the bundling of materials by publishers, a policy on the use of faculty-authored materials, and communicating with faculty on textbook cost issues. 

     The Committee determined that a textbook rental program is not viable for UNCA.  Only a few sections of the same classes are offered in the same semester and students are limited in their active reading of a text if they are not permitted to mark it.  Also, the start-up cost to institute a rental program at UNCA would be exorbitant, in comparison to our limited funding and small student body.  To finance such an operation funding would have to come from other budget lines, possibly resulting in a loss of other student services and faculty positions.  The Textbook Study Task Force concluded that a buyback consortium, the availability of more used books, alerting students to course textbook requirements so they may “shop online,” and reminding faculty that being diligent in their selections of texts will be the most effective way for UNCA to reduce costs for our students.

          Dr. Whatley encouraged faculty to use the same edition of a book for two or three years at a time if appropriate for the discipline as it gives the bookstore a chance to buy used books that will be used in the next semester and reduces the overall cost for students.  It would also be helpful if faculty can avoid having the publisher bundle materials together. 

          Highlights of comments/suggestions follow:

o        At the last Senate meeting Jim Kuhlman offered to help develop a web form that takes the data (including the ISBN numbers) from faculty members and sends it to the Bookstore and to a website for students simultaneously. 

o        When faculty select a book, they can post this information online.  This can be done in advance as faculty develop their websites.  Our contract prohibits the Bookstore from posting the ISBN numbers online but there is no prohibition on individual faculty posting ISBN numbers. 

o        It is easier if the student/parent can access the textbook information on one website.  

o        The percentage of buybacks has tripled in the last three years.

o        A pilot system-wide buyback program is starting in a couple of days.

o        The Bookstore mark-up is 35% but it is a small operation and there are few economies of scale we can take advantage of.  It is receipt-funded and also supports scholarships and the OneCard.  This year the Bookstore gave $40K toward scholarships and $120K toward administrative fees.

o        Consider a system-wide purchase plan to offset the economy of scale.  President Bowles has this in mind with the PACE initiative.

o        Perhaps students should not be contributing toward scholarships via their bookstore purchases.

o        The buyback plan is speculative -- classes offered on a rotating cycle cannot benefit from the program. 

o        The Bookstore is a $2 million operation – textbook income is 80% -- the national average is 60%.



          - Revision of 2008-09 calendar

          Dean Whatley reported on proposed changes to the 2008-09 Calendar:

  • 2009 spring semester classes will begin on Thursday, January 15th, rather than after the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
  • Spring break and Graduation is unchanged.
  • There will be one extra Thursday in the semester.
  • Classes for Freshmen only will be cancelled on September 9th for ACT in Asheville – our service day.   Freshmen will have one less Tuesday class than other students; future calendars will add a call day.
  • The Undergraduate Research Symposium will be Friday and Saturday, April 17th-18th.
  • There will be a 3-½ week break between semesters rather than 4 weeks.
  • The tentative December graduation date is December 20th.


Several Senators recommended reducing the number of split weeks as it is difficult to teach then and attendance is affected.  Dr. Whatley agreed but noted that it is a challenge to reduce the number of split weeks while also not having classes on Labor Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, and Thanksgiving.  The discussion turned toward the tradition of mid-term break, the possibility of eliminating the Labor Day holiday and holding classes later in May.  Dr. Wood added that some colleagues prefer to have the semester begin on a Wednesday – it is the one partial week where attendance is good.   

          - Planning for 2009-10 calendar

          The draft 2009-10 calendar was distributed for comments.  Dr. Whatley will bring options to the Senate in January; following feedback from the Senate, the final version will go to senior staff for approval. 

          An option was to start fall semester one week earlier or one week later in the spring, or both.  If the Labor Day holiday is three weeks into the semester, do we need a fall break?  Dr. Wilson noted that at some point we need to evaluate whether it is worth eliminating a class day for the Undergraduate Research Symposium; many students do not attend unless it is required.  Dr. Whatley noted that theoretically students should be required to attend but they are not missing a class day.  We started canceling classes because we had more days in our calendar than were required.  The extra days can be used for academic experiences.  


VI.     Executive Committee Report

          Gary Nallan reported for the Executive Committee.

          Faculty Assembly Standards of Shared Governance Resolution

          Dr. Nallan explained that the Faculty Assembly adopted the Standards of Shared Governance on the 16 UNC Campuses in April 2005.  The resolution was first distributed to Senators last year but no formal action was taken.  He asked that Senators review the resolution carefully for discussion in January and February; Second Reading will be on February 8th. 

          Dr. Larson requested that someone familiar with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) accreditation requirements review the wording on evaluating the performance of senior administrators (page 4, #10) to see if it is consistent with SACS guidelines.  Jim Kuhlman, chair of the SACS group, offered to review the section and discuss it with Dr. Larson.  The Resolution is available at: Standards of Shared Governance on the 16 UNC Campuses .   


VII.    Academic Policies Committee Report

          Claudel McKenzie reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

          ILS Oversight Committee Report to APC

          Alan Hantz, Chair of ILSOC, reported to APC in accordance to SD0703F.  In part, the policy states:  "The Chair of the ILS Oversight Committee will report to APC at the end of each semester, providing information about decisions made by the committee during that semester, with rationale if necessary.  In this report, the chair may also identify areas of concern with regard to clarity and specificity of component charges, proposals for ILS courses, availability of ILS sections, or any other issues."  APC has received the report and discussions will be ongoing. 

          First Reading:

          The following documents were distributed for First Reading:

         [Approved by APC by a vote of 3-0-1]

         APC 23:  Clarify expected time of completion for MLA 680


         [Unanimously approved by APC]

APC 6:  Addition of a new concentration in Literature/Language:

                       Creative Writing with 9-12 English Licensure

         APC 7:  Consolidating Modern Physics I and II into one course, PHYS 326; Expanding

                       Quantum Mechanics into two courses, PHYS 414 and 418.          

         APC 8:   Changing Requirements for Physics with Teacher Licensure

         APC 9:  Changes to Physics major, minor and prerequisite requirements to reflect the addition

                       of      PHYS 326, 414 and 418

          APC 10: Dropping CHEM 144 as a Requirement in Physics.  Adding MATH 365 as a Requirement.

          APC 11: Add PORT prefix for Portuguese courses; Add new courses, PORT 110, 120 and 300

          APC 12: Clarification of hours required in culture and language courses in Classics

          APC 13: Addition of Concentration in Classical Studies to Classics

          APC 14: Changes to major competency requirement in Classics

          APC 15: Adding New World History Courses:  HIST 382, 388 and 389

          APC 16: Changes titles and descriptions of HIST 303 and 308; Change title for HIST 348

          APC 17: Adding new American History courses, HIST 304 and 319

          APC 18: Changing Category IV in History from Other to World

          APC 19: Delete HIST 354, 355 and 361

                      APC 20: Change description of PHIL 200; Delete PHIL 301 and 309; Add new course PHIL 312

                      APC 21: Change in number of hours and maximum credit for MLA 610

                      APC 22: Clarify Approval Process for Project Proposals in MLA 670

                      APC 24: Reinstatement of MLA 690


         APC Approved as Minor Proposal:

[Senators review Minor documents via links on the agenda emailed campus-wide.]

         APC 25: Addition on Special Topics to the MLA curriculum


VIII.   Institutional Development Committee Report

          Bruce Larson reported for the Institutional Development Committee.

          IDC met last week and focused on master programs.  Sandra Byrd, Director of the Asheville Graduate Center, will meet with IDC next week to discuss the role of master’s programs.  


IX.      Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report

          Don Lisnerski reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

          Second Reading:

          The following document was considered for Second Reading:

          FWDC 1:  Proposal to establish the “Library, Information Resources, & Technology Committee”

                         as a new Standing Committee replacing the Computing & Telecommunications

                         Committee and the Library & Media Services Advisory Committee (Replaces SD7403S;

                         Faculty Handbook 6.5.3; 10.4.4; 10.4.13).


          Following a lengthy discussion, Dr. Sabo moved to amend the ex officio membership as follows:


              Ex Officio, voting: 


                   Chief Information Officer, convener

                   Associate University Librarian for Public Services

              Ex Officio, nonvoting:

                   Vice Chancellor for Administration & Finance or designee

                   Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or designee

                   Vice Chancellor for Development or designee

                   Assistant Director of ITS for Applications

                   Assistant Director of ITS for Systems, Networks, & Security

                   Manager, ITS User Support

                   Director, Center for Teaching and Learning

                   Web manager


          Ms. McKenzie seconded the motion which passed.  FWDC 1 passed as amended and became

Senate Document 0706F.


X.      Old Business

          There was no Old Business.


XI.     New Business

          There was no New Business.


XII.    Adjourn

          Dr. Nallan adjourned the meeting at 4:50pm.


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Don Lisnerski