University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, October 19, 2006



Members:   L. Atkinson, B. Butler, K. Cole, M. Harvey, H. Holt, B. Hook, B. Larson, D. Lisnerski,

                  J. McClain, C. McKenzie, M. Moseley, G. Nallan, B. Sabo, B. Wilson, J. Wood; M. Padilla. 

Alternates: C. Bell, R. Bowen.


Excused:    G. Boudreaux, P. Downes, S. Judson.


Visitors:      G. Ashburn, B. Haggard, E. Katz, G. Kormanik, P. McClellan, J. McHargue, J. McKnight,

                  A. Shope, B. Spellman, K. Whatley.




I.        Call to Order, Introductions, Announcements

          Dr. Gary Nallan called the meeting to order at 3:20 pm and welcomed Senators and guests.  Introductions were made throughout the room.


II.       Approval of minutes

          The minutes of September 21, 2006, were approved as distributed. 


III.      Student Government Association Report (SGA)

          John Noor was unable to attend the meeting due to illness.


IV.     Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee (CSAC)

          JoAnne McKnight reported for the Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee.

          UNC Staff Assembly

          The UNC Staff Assembly is the elected body of representatives of the staff of the sixteen campuses of the University of North Carolina.  Its objectives are set forth in the Assembly’s Charter.  Its goal is to improve communication, understanding, and morale throughout its respective communities and to increase efficiency and productivity in campus operations. 

          The Staff Assembly convened in Chapel Hill and elected the following officers and contacts:


              Chair                          J. C. Boykin (NCSU)

              Vice-Chair                  JoAnne McKnight (UNCA)

              Secretary/Treasurer     Suzanne Williams (UNCG)

              Liaison, UNC GA        Ann W. Lemmon (UNCGA)

              At Large Delegates:         Linda Adkins (UNCW)

                                                    Chuck Brink (UNCCH)

                                                    Linda Cole (WSSU)

                                                    Kelley Eaves-Boykin (UNCC)

          CSAC Check-list

Seventy-three staff members responded to the CSAC check-list.  The two areas that received the most interest were: 

·         Establish a positive attitude on campus among staff, administration, supervisors and faculty.

·         Create ways to acknowledge the outstanding jobs employees routinely do.


Fifteen of the 73 staff members wrote comments, suggested options and wrote letters.  Two options from staff follow:

·         Take a leadership role in identifying and solving the "morale crisis" that is talked about.

·         Examine ways to constructively foster positive communication efforts among staff and between staff and faculty.

Vacant Seats on CSAC

          A top priority will be to fill the many vacancies on CSAC.  


V.      Administrative Report

          Faculty Development (formerly Off-Campus Scholarly Assignment)

          Dr. Padilla reported that the Faculty Development proposals are proceeding to faculty governance for the next stage of review.

          Annual Report of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

          Vice Chancellor Bill Haggard reported for Student Affairs. 

          During the summer of 2006 there was significant progress related to the re-establishment of the Division of Student Affairs.  Dr. Haggard began working as the new Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs on July 10.  Dr. Calvin Kelly, former Assistant Director for Multicultural Student Development, was promoted to Director for Campus Life and began his new role on June 1.  Ms. Jackie McHargue was hired as Dean of Students and began her new position on July 31.  Dr. Haggard, Dr. Kelly and Ms. McHargue comprise the three-person leadership team that will guide further reshaping of Student Affairs programs and services.

          - Paradigm Shifts

     The following paradigm shifts will provide a context for the work of the division in the coming year:

  • From separate departments and functional silos to a seamless division with integrated student-centered functions
  • From “Housing and Residence Life” to “Residence Education”
  • From “Student Conduct” to “Citizenship Education”

The larger framework for the paradigm shifts is that of strengthening the spirit of community and fostering communities which are purposeful, open, just, disciplined, caring and celebrative.

          - Priority Themes for 2006-07

  • Community/Citizenship
  • Wellness
  • Diversity
  • Retention


     Areas under Jackie McHargue, Dean of Students:

  • Residential Education Coordinator (residence hall staffing, education, programming)
  • Citizenship Education
  • Housing Operations
  • Dining Services

     Areas under Calvin Kelly, Director of Campus Life:

  • Health Center
  • Counseling Center
  • Highsmith Center
  • Recreation
  • (SAIL) Student Activities/Integrative Learning



     Dr. Wood noted that the university has shifted to a more residential, traditional age campus that many faculty have noticed in their classes.  Are we thinking about what we are losing in our classrooms and in our obligations to meet the needs of the community?  Will we lose something in terms of our access to the community and our reputation of serving the community by shifting our priority to students between the ages of 18 and 21? 

     Dr. Haggard replied that this is part of the discussion.  To clarify, becoming more of a residential campus is for primarily traditional age students.  Institutional Research has data to support that there is a difference in retention and satisfaction of off-campus versus on-campus students; we are trying to respond to that data.  At the same time, he agrees that our non-traditional students and our diversity of age adds a richness to the whole experience.  We are engaging in some efforts to help in those areas.  For example, a month ago 70-80 commuter students attended an open forum and gave feedback that is going to the appropriate administrative units to improve our support.  Efforts are underway to identify space in Highsmith as a commuter lounge.  As we look into the future, if we have an opportunity to build more on-campus housing, he is concerned that there is not an option for students with families and non-traditional populations.  Day care is another issue we need to consider.


VI.     Executive Committee Report

          Gary Nallan reported for the Executive Committee.


            Faculty Assembly

            Gwen Ashburn summarized the September 29, 2006 Faculty Assembly:

  • Rob Nelson, Vice President for Finance, discussed that we are currently in the first year of a

two-year budget cycle. Two important financial concerns are faculty salaries and tuition plan. The

Legislature was very supportive of university requests for this two-year budget.  Dr. Nelson said

that President Bowles continues to stress efficiencies; campuses are to spend money wisely.

  • First Plenary Session – chaired by Brenda Killingsworth, Faculty Assembly chair:
  • Harold Martin, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, presented a power point presentation

on improving retention and graduation rates.  Graduation rates are generally good in comparison

to national averages but each campus is to a develop plan as to how to improve in both areas.

  • Questions and responses to Dr. Martin’s presentation included whether there would be pressure

for grade inflation as campuses strive to improve retention and graduation rates.  Dr. Martin

promised accountability measures to ensure campuses were maintaining high standards and

discouraging practices such as grade inflation. 

  • Dr. Martin discussed Summer Bridge Programs that would utilize resources and would give

students opportunities to improve communication, technology, and time management skills.  He

was also asked about the impact of rising tuition costs. He noted that President Bowles would be

addressing tuition rate increases.

  • President Bowles explained his two budget priorities. He emphasized that the NC Legislature must

continue to be the primary funding source for the university.  He briefly discussed his proposed tuition

plan (which had not been presented to the Board of Governors at that time so his information was

limited).  His second priority is to raise faculty compensation to 80% of peer institutions in two years.

President Bowles briefly discussed performance goals, summer remediation.  He fielded an array of

questions; one of his responses included his support of textbook rental but said he could be proven

wrong.  Members of the Faculty Assembly thanked him for our 6% raises this year. He said he hoped

to do better.

  • Dr. Alan Mabe presented the twelve priorities that came from discussions of the chancellors. Briefly
  • these are student success, outstanding faculty, improved schools and more and better  teachers
  • especially in areas of math and science, research, quality academic and support services, regional
  • and state-wide development, adequate facilities, health care, information technology,
  • internationalization, partnerships with community colleges, and private fundraising.  Accountability
  • measures for the identified priorities are under consideration. 
  • In the afternoon session, representatives were divided into four task forces: assessment, faculty
  • recruitment and retention, shared governance, and e-learning.  



Dr. Nallan asked if there was discussion of the Shared Governance document passed by the Faculty

Assembly last spring.  Dr. Ashburn replied that there is a Task Force still concerned that a number of

campuses were not fully participating in shared governance.  They are encouraging all campuses to

attend to the Shared Governance document passed by the Faculty Assembly.  They are also

concerned about whether faculty members are getting information discussions at the Faculty

Assembly meetings.


VII.    Academic Policies Committee Report

          Claudel McKenzie reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

          First Reading:  [Unanimously approved by APC]

          The following documents were distributed for First Reading:

          APC 1:  Adding new course ECON 355: Open Economy Macroeconomics

          APC 2:  Revising Concentration in International Economics

          APC 4:  Adding a Minor in Astronomy

          APC 5:  Adding ASTR 321, 322, 380, 411.  Adding Special Topics, ASTR 171-474.


          APC Approved as Minor Proposal:

          APC 3:  Change Scheduled Offering of ECON 245, 314, 330, and 361.





          Deadline for Grades

          APC met with Pat McClellan to discuss dealing with grades for seniors just before graduation in both December and in May.  Ms. McKenzie asked Bill Sabo to work with Alicia Shope to devise a short term solution. 

          Dr. Sabo distributed a draft resolution that APC will discuss next week.  The core idea is to adjust the schedule slightly so that the Registrar’s Office is not inundated with work.  The process may also allow faculty a little extra time for grading.  The proposed deadline for the Fall 2006 semester permits seniors to take exams with other students, while still allowing the certification process to be completed for the ceremony.  The Registrar’s Office will report to APC in February on two issues:  the ability of the office to complete their task in the time allotted, and the degree to which faculty complied with the deadline.  This will aid in planning for possible future December graduations and help APC determine whether it might be possible to do away with early senior grades for the spring semester.  Students would receive diplomas at graduation but there is insufficient time to prepare printed programs which are keepsakes for graduates and their families.  Ms. McKenzie wanted the Faculty Senate to be aware that a resolution would likely be forthcoming.  The Senate agreed this could be a Senate resolution.     


VIII.   Institutional Development Committee Report

          Bruce Larson reported for the Institutional Development Committee

          Faculty Senate Representative to the Tuition & Fees Committee

          Vice Chancellors Pat Hunt and Bill Haggard have begun to assemble the Tuition and Fees Committee that will make recommendations with regard to tuition and fees this year.  Under President Bowles’ plan tuition increases will be capped at 6.5 percent for the next four years.  The maximum of tuition and fees (6.5%) is $233.  Whatever portion is allocated for tuition, campuses are required to reserve at least 25% of tuition for financial aid and another 25% for faculty raises until salaries reach the 80th percentile of peer campuses.  The committee will be charged to listen to the various petitioners from different constituencies advocating for their needs. 

          Vice Chancellor Hunt has asked for a Faculty Senate representative on the committee and IDC recommended that Betsy Wilson fill that role.  Dr. Larson moved to accept Betsy Wilson in this position.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Sabo and passed.       Dr. Moseley and Dr. Lisnerski questioned the wisdom of having only one faculty representative on the committee when there are two students.  Dr. Larson agreed that more faculty representation would be nice.  Dean Spellman added that regarding tuition fees, it is his responsibility to represent faculty along with Dr. Wilson.

          Other IDC Activities

          IDC is reviewing a special committee report on the role of the university and community on economic development created by the Board of Governors earlier this year.  IDC is devising a strategy on how it might deal with this at a future time. 

          Gregg Kormanik, University Research Officer, is working to develop a policy on Centers for UNCA. 


IX.     Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report

          Don Lisnerski reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

          How COPLAC and Peer Institutes handle Faculty Development

          FWDC contacted some of our COPLAC and Peer Institutes regarding how they handle faculty development such as structure and coordination.  Faculty development tends to be coordinated through a Center for Teaching and Learning – or the CTL is part of an Office of Faculty Development.  FWDC looked at some of the structure and staffing and invited Dr. Larson, the Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning, to join FWDC at its last meeting where they had a lengthy discussion.  Discussions will continue with recommendations coming later.

     First Reading:

     The following document was distributed for First Reading:

     FWDC 1:  Proposal to establish the “Library, Information Resources, & Technology Committee”

                    as a new Standing Committee replacing the Computing & Telecommunications

                    Committee and the Library & Media Services Advisory Committee (Replaces SD7403S;

                    Faculty Handbook 6.5.3; 10.4.4; 10.4.13



X.      Old Business

          Dr. Nallan reminded Senators that Leah Mathews chaired a Task Force on Student Rating of Instruction and gave the final report last spring.  Dr. Mathews, Bruce Larson (as Director of CTL) and Gary Nallan will meet on October 31st to discuss what actions the Faculty Senate may take toward the recommendations.  Dr. Nallan will report the results of the discussion at the next meeting.


XI.     New Business

          A Special Faculty Senate meeting was held on October 17th and many Senators and faculty from across campus gave input on the future of the Office of Academic Affairs.  The consensus was to have:

·         an open search process for the permanent chief academic officer

·         the interim should serve for 18 months

·         the interim would not be a candidate for the permanent position


They discussed who the interim should be – whether it should it be a senior faculty member, a current Dean, someone from outside campus, or someone from General Administration.  Dr. Nallan asked if the Faculty Senate wanted to try to reach a consensus toward making a recommendation to Chancellor Ponder.  Following a brief discussion, Senators were asked to communicate their thoughts to the Executive Committee individually.   


XII.    Adjourn

          Dr. Nallan adjourned the meeting at 4:25pm.


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Don Lisnerski