University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, January 18, 2007




Members:   L. Atkinson, G. Boudreaux, B. Butler, K. Cole, P. Downes, M. Harvey, H. Holt, B. Hook,

                  S. Judson, B. Larson, D. Lisnerski, J. McClain, C. McKenzie, M. Moseley, G. Nallan,

                  B. Sabo, B. Wilson,     J. Wood; K. Whatley; A. Ponder. 


Visitors:       R. Booker, R. Bowen, L. Friedenberg, G. Kormanik, A. Lange, P. McClellan, J. McKnight,

                   S. Mills, J. Noor, A. Shope.




I.        Call to Order, Introductions, Announcements

          Gary Nallan called the meeting to order at 3:22 pm and welcomed Chancellor Ponder, Senators and guests.  Introductions were made throughout the room. 


II.       Approval of minutes

          The minutes of November 30, 2006, were approved with editorial corrections. 


III.      Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee (CSAC)

          JoAnne McKnight reported for the Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee.

          - PACE Recommendations

          The Executive Committee of the Staff Assembly was invited to submit recommendations regarding the President’s Advisory Committee on Efficiency and Effectiveness (PACE) report before the end of January.  This concerns how the University system intends to approach the possibility of following the PACE recommendation for it to separate itself from the Office of State Personnel (OSP) or reconfigure how it should operate under OSP.  The recommendations will be compiled and submitted to President Bowles by mid-February with information already collected from senior staff and other sources prior to his address to the legislature. 

          A staff information session was held on January 11th with good interaction among the 70 staff members present.  A follow-up session will be held on January 24th to look at concerns and broad-stroke recommendations.  Faculty members were invited to attend and offer their input.  

          Dr. Sabo encouraged Ms. McKnight to email the table that was distributed at the January 11th staff meeting to Senators, including the summary comparison.   

          - Textbook Award for Degree-Seeking Staff

          CSAC is working toward offering a partial reimbursement for textbooks purchased by staff members who are furthering their education by seeking a degree from UNCA, AB Tech, Blue Ridge Community College or Haywood Community College.      


IV.      Student Government Association Report (SGA)

          Anna Lange reported for the Student Government Association.

·         SGA representatives met over the holidays with Erskine Bowles’ Chief of Staff, Jeff Davies, and the Senior VP of Finance for the UNC system, Rob Nelson, to work on adopting green building standards for the university system. 

·         Based on our sustainability resolution, we have met with Susan Fisher, Wayne McDevitt and Bruce Goforth, who will be sponsoring legislation that will prevent state universities and community colleges from being punished for retrofitting projects that save energy. 

·         The Energy efficiency attachment talks about the key points we proposed that should appear in the bill.  We will hopefully see legislation soon.

·         The Association of Student Government (ASG) meets next week in Charlotte – the sustainability resolution should go through. 

·         The ASG Textbook policy will be voted on this weekend.  SGA would appreciate comments.


V.      Administrative Report

          Highlights of Chancellor Ponder’s remarks follow:

·         Kathy Whatley was thanked for her service to the university as interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. 

·         An update for the start of the second semester will be presented at the All Campus meeting on January 23 at 12:15 pm in the Humanities Lecture Hall. 

·         Strategic planning is moving forward and will be a central topic at the February 14th All Campus meeting.

·         Concerning a new leader for the academic division and following a preliminary discussion with the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, the following timetable is being considered:


o        Spring:         form a search committee and job description.  The Senate will identify faculty

                     to serve on the committee which will be majority faculty but not exclusively.

o        Summer:  cultivate and look for candidates; advertise officially in late summer.  

o        Fall:         begin interviews when school is in session. 


The hiring of a search firm with possible use of the university’s one-time money is also being considered.  Advice and suggestions are welcome. 

          Student Affairs Highlights

          Kathy Whatley distributed a handout on Student Affairs Highlights for Fall Semester, 2006.  She congratulated Vice Chancellor Haggard for a successful first semester.    

          2009-2010 Academic Calendar

          Dr. Whatley explained two proposed calendars for 2009-2010 for consideration.  The Senate discussed partial weeks, the broken-up exam period, the deadline for senior grades and the three-day fall break followed closely by a three-day Thanksgiving holiday.  The Senate generally preferred version 2 for Fall semester and version 1 for Spring semester.  Dr. Whatley will take this information to senior staff.


VI.     Executive Committee Report

          Gary Nallan reported for the Executive Committee.

          Status Report on Office Support Study Team

          Brian Hook reminded Senators that last fall the Office Support Study Team (OSST) was established to conduct a study of the jobs of our academic support staff since many jobs have changed over time and job descriptions no longer reflect the work being done.  There have been inequities in the system regarding pay and responsibilities within jobs.  Questionnaires have been sent to office support staff and the committee is in the process of organizing that information and identifying essential duties.  The next step will be to collect information from faculty on their office needs; this will likely occur within departmental meetings.  Dr. Hook asked Senators to assure office support staff that the team is doing something with this information.

          First Reading:

          EC 1:  Faculty Assembly Standards of Shared Governance Resolution


          Dr. Nallan explained that the Faculty Assembly adopted the Standards of Shared Governance in April 2005.  The resolution was distributed to Senators last year but no formal action was taken.  We have been asked if we are going to take action on the resolution.  The Senate may choose to adopt the resolution, adopt portions of it, or amend it.  Final Standards of Shared Governance on the 16 UNC Campuses.  

          Dr. Sabo argued that the first sentence of the "Compliance" section on page 4 – "It is the responsibility of the faculty of each campus to advocate, seek, and monitor the campus’s adherence to the Standards of Shared Governance" – is the heart of the document.  This provision clearly defines the faculty’s responsibility. He questioned whether the faculty were living up to its responsibilities.
          He addressed two major parts of the document: 1) structures and procedures and 2) governing responsibilities.  UNCA complies with the structure and procedure guidelines particularly as they pertain to the activities of APC and FWDC.  In these cases faculty responsibilities are clearly defined and the faculty’s role not questioned.
          Dr. Sabo noted that the difficulties arise with point #3 on page 3 – "The Chancellor and other senior administrators should consult in a timely way and seek meaningful faculty input on issues in which the faculty has an appropriate interest but not primary responsibility."  The administration took steps to involve faculty in some issues mentioned in the document including enrollment growth, intercollegiate athletics, and issues involving the library and other research facilities.  However, in some important cases -- specifically point #7 on page 3 and point #10 on page 4 – there have been serious violations of the principles.  The central problem is determining the meaning of "appropriate interest but not primary responsibility."  This used to be the purview of the Planning Council which included members from the Senate, other faculty members, and the administration.  UPC document,  Proposal to Modify the Composition of UPC, written when Bruce Larson was chair, indicates the Planning Council system incorporated all the principles listed in the governance resolution.  Dr. Sabo added that IDC, as currently constituted, falls short of both the ideal and the old Planning Council concept.  This makes it difficult to live up to the compliance responsibility the document imposes on the faculty – and this is our fault.  He made three suggestions: 1) senators carefully study the document, 2) consider amending the Faculty Senate Constitution by adding the statement "At the end of the year the Executive Committee reports to the Senate on decisions the university has made and the degree to which faculty were involved in those decisions," and 3) figure out how to reinvigorate the IDC or reinstate the Planning Council concept so there will be no more violations of the principles of the Assembly Resolution.  We cannot afford to forget the first sentence of the Compliance Section.  An effective Planning Council is essential to fulfilling this task and to protecting the faculty’s "appropriate interest."
          Dr. Downes asked if the UPC fulfilled the responsibilities that we need to consider.  Dr. Sabo noted three UPC duties as examples of where we no longer comply:

·         Assist in development and implementation of the University planning cycle.

·         Participate annually in the setting of University budget objectives and allocations.

·         Meet periodically with the appropriate committee of the Board of Trustees to discuss the University.


          Dr. Lisnerski explained that the Senate put UPC on “hold” status until the strategic planning process is completed.  For the last couple of years the Senate Standing Rules say that IDC will perform the function of UPC.  Senators agreed that IDC was not performing the duties of UPC.   

          Dr. Larson explained that UPC was unraveled a few years ago when senior staff either withdrew or were withdrawn from the University Planning Council.  We need to complete the strategic planning process.  There is a possibility for reconstructing the UPC to fit the style of the current administration and our current university which would conform to the guidelines of the Assembly Resolution.  Dr. Moseley noted that the unraveling of UPC was an undoing of shared governance.  Dr. Nallan asked Senators to carefully re-read the document and give some thought to the issues Dr. Sabo addressed.


VII.    Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report

          Don Lisnerski reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

          Faculty Mentoring Program

          The first social function of the Faculty Mentoring Program will be held on February 3rd.  Forty-two faculty members who have been hired over the last two years have been invited to the social as well as twenty-one faculty members who have volunteered to be mentors.  The new faculty will fill out a survey to learn their concerns and the areas where they want additional information.  FWDC is working with the administration, the Deans, and Human Resources to provide informative workshops.  The Senate discussed the need for additional mentors. 


VIII.   Academic Policies Committee Report

          Claudel McKenzie reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

          Second Reading:

          The following documents were considered for Second Reading:

         [Approved by APC by a vote of 3-0-1]

         APC 23:  Clarify expected time of completion for MLA 680. 

         APC 23 passed and became Senate Document 0807S. 


         [Unanimously approved by APC]

APC 6:  Addition of a new concentration in Literature/Language:

                       Creative Writing with 9-12 English Licensure

         APC 6 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0907S.


         APC 7:  Consolidating Modern Physics I and II into one course, PHYS 326; Expanding

                       Quantum Mechanics into two courses, PHYS 414 and 418.

         APC 7 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1007S.


         APC 8:   Changing Requirements for Physics with Teacher Licensure.

         APC 8 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1107S.


         APC 9:  Changes to Physics major, minor and prerequisite requirements to reflect the addition

                       of      PHYS 326, 414 and 418.

         APC 9 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1207S.


          APC 10: Dropping CHEM 144 as a Requirement in Physics.  Adding MATH 365 as a Requirement.

         APC 10 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1307S.


          APC 11: Add PORT prefix for Portuguese courses; Add new courses, PORT 110, 120 and 300.

         APC 11 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1407S.


          APC 12: Clarification of hours required in culture and language courses in Classics.

         APC 12 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1507S.


          APC 13: Addition of Concentration in Classical Studies to Classics.

         APC 13 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1607S.


          APC 14: Changes to major competency requirement in Classics.

         APC 14 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1707S.


          APC 15: Adding New World History Courses:  HIST 382, 388 and 389.

         APC 15 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1807S.


          APC 16: Changes titles and descriptions of HIST 303 and 308; Change title for HIST 348.

         APC 16 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 1907S.


          APC 17: Adding new American History courses, HIST 304 and 319.

         APC 17 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2007S.


          APC 18: Changing Category IV in History from Other to World.

         APC 18 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2107S.


          APC 19: Delete HIST 354, 355 and 361.

         APC 19 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2207S.


                      APC 20: Change description of PHIL 200; Delete PHIL 301 and 309; Add new course PHIL 312.

         APC 20 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2307S.


                      APC 21: Change in number of hours and maximum credit for MLA 610.

         APC 21 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2407S.


                      APC 22: Clarify Approval Process for Project Proposals in MLA 670.

         APC 22 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2507S.


                      APC 24: Reinstatement of MLA 690.

         APC 24 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2607S.


         APC Approved as Minor Proposal:

[Senators review Minor documents via links on the agenda emailed campus-wide.]

          APC 25: Addition on Special Topics to the MLA curriculum.

         APC 25 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 2707S.


IX.      Institutional Development Committee Report

          Bruce Larson reported for the Institutional Development Committee.

          Discussion of Master’s Programs

          IDC had an open discussion with Sandra Byrd about the possibility of additional master’s programs

at UNCA.  Perhaps the most meaningful item from that discussion was that there is time for us to continue

to move in a deliberative fashion and to act on master’s programs should it seem appropriate in the fall. 

IDC’s orientation all along has been that a decision about additional master’s programs would be inappropriate

until such time as the strategic planning process is complete.  An increase in the scale of master’s programs

at our university is a strategic decision best undertaken with the full knowledge and action of the Board of



X.      Old Business

          The Senate briefly discussed why APC 23 did not pass APC unanimously. 


XI.     New Business

          There was no New Business.


XII.    Adjourn

          Dr. Nallan adjourned the meeting at 4:40pm.


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Don Lisnerski