University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, April 13, 20063:15 pm



Members:     L. Atkinson, G. Boudreaux, B. Butler, K. Cole, L. Cornett, B. Hook, P. Downes,

H. Holt, B. Larson, D. Lisnerski, C. McKenzie, S. Mills, G. Nallan, P. Nickless,

M. Ruiz, S. Walters, J. Wood; M. Padilla.


Excused:          S. Judson.


Visitors:       M. Alm, T. Glenn, E. Katz, G. Krumpe, K. Krumpe, J. Noor, A. Shope, B. Spellman,

K. Whatley, B. Wilson.




I.        Call to Order

Pamela Nickless called the meeting to order at 3:20 pm and welcomed Senators and guests.


II.       Approval of minutes

The minutes of March 2, 2006, were approved as written. 


III.      Administrative Report

Mark Padilla gave the Administrative Report.

Don Locke, Director of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs

- Announcements

Local businessman Jesse Ray will join the senior staff as the Special Assistant to the Chancellor.  As  Dr. Locke phases out of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, Mr. Ray will phase into the area and will do some external affairs for the Chancellor as well. 

          A new diversity initiative for African American, Latino, and geographically diverse students is underway. 

Geographically diverse students could be international students or students from other regions of the country (not from the south).  The students will participate in two of six selected existing activities on our campus in the hope of building a sense of community.  Each participant will receive a $1,000 scholarship.  If they matriculate successfully for the first year and subsequent years, they may continue the scholarship for all four years.  Seventy-five letters of invitation have been sent to date. 

- Faculty Recruitment

     The administration has authorized thirteen tenure track positions.  The presence of a diverse faculty reflects the University’s commitment to academic excellence and enriches the student experience.  Diversity goals may be best undertaken through positive leadership rather than administrative directives.  To that end, and as Affirmative Action Officer, Dr. Locke wishes to work with search committees in the process of faculty hiring, assisting with the organization and conduct of the search.  Success in recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty is an ongoing process.  The greatest success in the search process involves personal contact and recruitment (colleagues; faculty in departments from which UNCA faculty graduated; personal contacts at professional meetings; personal contacts made by other ethnically diverse faculty).  Even senior scholars who may be employed outside academe but who, through cutbacks or simply the desire for a career change, may be well suited for a faculty position.  Dr. Locke noted items to include in advertisements.   

          Dr. Padilla will announce the positions for next year in a single ad in The Chronicle and Diverse Issues in Higher Education.  Departments should also advertise in their more specialized publications.  The Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs will subscribe to Minority and Women Doctoral Directory (a registry that maintains up-to-date information on employment candidates who have recently received or are soon to receive a doctoral degree in their respective field from one of approximately 200 U.S. major research universities).

          2008-09 Academic Calendar

          AVC Whatley stated that the 2008-09 calendar was edited following input from Senators.  As requested, there is a four-week break between the end of the fall semester and the beginning of the spring semester. 

     The Senate discussed the exam schedule and the need to avoid having grades due before the end of class.  Mr. Noor noted that SGA preferred an entire week of exams as opposed to breaking up the exams.  Dr. Whatley stated she appreciated input from SGA and it was considered; ultimately the schedule was not changed because many students prefer a break in exams to study.  The Senate approved the calendar.

     Administrative Nomenclature

          Dr. Padilla recommended adding the term Dean to the titles of the AVCs.  Faculty members use the term Dean, community members know who Deans are, and General Administration is familiar with this nomenclature. There would be no change in duties or responsibilities.  Senators with strong concerns were asked to contact Drs. Padilla or Nickless.  Unless there are strong objections, the change will be made July 1st. 


IV.     Student Government Association Report

          President Tarik Glenn reported that the SGA was successful this year with its focus to open communication between faculty and students and between administrators and students.  Frequently however, SGA did not receive information until after a decision had been made.  He hopes the next SGA will have an opportunity to give input on issues early in the process to ease problems.  Dr. Nickless thanked Mr. Glenn for serving on the Board of Trustees and for doing a great job.  A round of applause followed.

          President-elect John Noor reported that the Association of Student Governments had a successful discussion in Asheville.  Dr. Eggers gave a timely presentation on environmental and sustainability issues. 

     Mr. Noor and Mr. Glenn will meet with President Bowles on Thursday to talk about diversity, tuition, and financial aid.  Mr. Noor will express students’ concerns about adding graduate programs and will discuss UNCA’s funding formula.

     Mr. Noor noted that FWDC 11 under consideration today would remove two student representatives on the Minority Affairs Commission.  He stressed the need to have a student voice on the commission and said he had picked an executive of student government who will be devoted to diversity next year. 


V.      Executive Committee Report

          Pamela Nickless reported for the Executive Committee.

          University Community Council (UCC)

          Senators Larson, Ruiz, and Nickless serve on the University Community Council (UCC) which continues to meet weekly.  The UCC is distilling all the information gathered during the campus small group meetings.

          Report on Shared Governance meeting with Academic Affairs

          Dr. Larson distributed the minutes of the March 16th Shared Governance meeting with the Provost, the AVCs, and the Faculty Senate Executive Committee (FSEC) with the exception of Dr. Nickless.  Everyone agreed that regular, predictable conversation among members of Academic Affairs and the Executive Committee was desirable.  The activities of the AVCs fall principally in the domains of curriculum, staffing and budgeting and these largely correspond to the activities of APC, FWDC, and IDC. 


     The following points were viewed by all as important:


1.    Departmental and program reviews should return and IDC is the appropriate venue for it to take place.  The appropriate AVC(s) should participate in the reviews.


2.    The question “How fully do AA and the FSEC want to share governance?” will need to be addressed.  In effect, what are the boundaries of shared governance?


3.    It is desirable for the Provost to meet on a regular basis with the FSEC.


4.    It is desirable for the AVCs to meet on a regular basis with APC, FWDC and IDC.


5.    It is desirable for IDC and UPC to move in different directions, with IDC orienting its activities more

     toward Academic Affairs and UPC orienting its activities more toward university-wide planning.  IDC and   UPC should be chaired by different individuals.


6.    Where will Faculty Development responsibilities lie (if not in FWDC)?


7.    It is desirable for two academically-oriented groups be in existence, one which would focus its attentions

     on student learning and another that would work to integrate/coordinate curriculum and money issues.


8.    Does the Provost receive the Faculty Senate documents?  [Yes.]



·          Who would sit on UPC and would it be constituted by the Senate or another body? 

Dr. Nickless noted that since the UPC has existed it has been a Senate committee.  It reports to the Senate but has slots for ex officio or appointment by the Chancellor as well as by the Senate.  Every member of the IDC was on the Planning Council.  Two additional faculty members were appointed by the Chancellor.  Over the years the administrative positions changed. 


Dr. Wood referred to the UCC that the Chancellor initiated and asked if it would become the UPC.  Dr. Larson replied that the Chancellor will give a university-wide talk on April 25th which is supposed to be about strategic planning.  The UPC will have to be negotiated in the future.  Dr. Wood added that it might be in the Senate’s interest to be aware of that conversation so if we want to continue to constitute that committee that we do.  Dr. Nickless added that the Executive Committee has been talking to the Chancellor about this all semester – she believes we are all on the same page.   


·          Where will faculty development responsibilities lie?

The FWDC will keep its development component but the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) and Academic Affairs are also involved in faculty development opportunities for faculty. 


·          Through the CTL’s reading circles, many faculty are aware that learning is to be considered along with teaching.  Many are interested in the new cognitive theory on how we learn and how universities may facilitate those principles.  Are we thinking about how students learn as we revise the curriculum?  Do we want to bring that into curriculum discussions? 


·          Dr. Downes referred to Dr. Nickless’ memo on shared governance dated February 11th and asked about the status of her recommendations. 

Dr. Nickless replied that progress has been made – the Chancellor and the chief of staff are very aware that it is appropriate to consult about search committees.  An issue that will have to stay on the front burner next year is the elimination/consolidation of degree programs.  After a lapse of several years, IDC will again be reviewing degree programs to determine if any should be consolidated or eliminated.  This is related to the substantive changes in majors too.  Dr. Nickless added that on March 2nd, Senators talked about the Health Care “track” and then called it a program.  It is a track within a major.  We need to be clear – big changes to majors are different than elimination or consolidation of degree programs.  We probably should include all university programs that do not offer degrees but have minors.   


·         Dr. Nickless noted that one item not on the table involves reviewing administrative offices.  Dr. Downes stated that minutes from a Senate meeting in 2000 say a review would be done every five years.  The reviews are helpful and would take care of a lot of problems if conducted on a regular basis.  


Dr. Padilla reported that when the Chancellor read the document she asked him to convey to the Senate that that is one thing that she is not interested in and would not support.  She said that it is the prerogative of the Chancellor.  But that is the Senate’s issue with her.  Dr. Nickless stated that the Senate will continue that conversation – it will stay on the table.  The Executive Committee will prepare a draft of the Standing Rules and Rules of Order for the 2006-07 Executive Committee to consider.  Hopefully it will keep these important issues on the front burner. 


     Dr. Padilla said he favored an Academic Affairs UPC and supported it as Dr. Larson defined it.  IDC has the potential to conduct program reviews and a lot of communication could occur if IDC met with the Academic Affairs administrative team twice a semester.  Dr. Nickless added that if IDC reviews programs, an ex officio member of Academic Affairs should be on the committee as it often involves budgets.  Dr. Larson said that assessment and planning are appropriate activities to have brought together and he saw IDC as being quite able to fill that function.  When a program is being reviewed, the appropriate Dean would come to the meeting. 


VI.     Academic Policies Committee Report

          Gary Nallan reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

          First Reading  [Unanimously Approved by APC]

The following documents were distributed for First Reading:

APC 33:  Policy on Disruptive Behavior in the Classroom (Faculty Handbook 5.2.11 and 8.3.5)

APC 34:  Modify course descriptions for DRAM 124, 325 and 440; Modify title and course

description for DRAM 317.

APC 35:  Delete DRAM 355; Add DRAM 106, Theatre Production. 

APC 36:  Changing the Core Requirements for Drama Majors.

APC 37:  Changing Requirements for the Declaration of Drama Major.

APC 38:  Changing Requirements for the Drama Minor.

APC 39:  Elimination of Health Care Management Concentration.

Second Reading:

[Unanimously Approved by APC]

The following documents were considered for Second Reading:

APC 25:  Changing Advanced Placement Credit for Chemistry.

APC 25 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3406S.


APC 26:  Add CHEM 222, 231, 232, 236, 237; Add CHEM 406, 407, 408, 418;

Change course description and credit hours for CHEM 428, 429.

APC 26 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3506S.


APC 27:  Changes in Procedures for Declaring a Major in Chemistry.

APC 27 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3606S.


APC 28:  Changes to Major Requirements in Chemistry.

APC 28 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3706S.


APC 29:  Editorial Change to Chemistry Narrative; Changes in Times Offered and Prerequisites.

APC 29 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3806S.


APC 30:  Change MGMT 394 to MGMT 464.  Add provision to award IP grade in MGMT 492. 

APC 30 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3906S.


APC 31:  Change in Industrial and Engineering Management Requirements.

APC 31 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4006S.


APC 32:  Change BIOL 105 from one 5-hr course to a 3-hr lecture and a 1-hr lab;

Add new course, BIOL 365; Change prerequisite for BIOL 223.

APC 32 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4106S.


[APC Approved as Minor Proposals]:

APC 40:  Elimination of Prerequisite for MGMT 320; Change in Prerequisite for MGMT 491.

APC 40 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4206S.


          APCR 41:  Addition of VMP 385, 485 to the MCOM/VMP Curriculum.

          APC 41 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4306S.


          APC 42:  Revision of the Academic Honesty Policy (Revision of SD4396S) (Handbook 8.3.1).

APC 42 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4406S.


VII.    Institutional Development Committee Report

          Bruce Larson reported for the Institutional Development Committee. 

          Report on Activities

          Two handouts on UNCA peers were distributed for informational purposes: 

          1) The Peers of COPLAC.  The Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC) is an alliance of public liberal arts colleges and universities.  UNCA is one of the founding members of COPLAC and plays an     increasingly meaningful role in COPLAC;

          2) The UNC General Administration Determined Peer Group for UNCA.  These are our 2006 peers for General Administration purposes that evolved through a negotiation process. 


          Dr. Larson distributed IDC’s Preliminary Criteria for Additional Masters Programs and reported that IDC has been spending much of its time this year thinking about additional masters programs.  The issue was discussed last month at a faculty forum and the discussion was valuable.  IDC has also met with the Chancellor when she shared some of her thoughts about masters programs. 

     IDC’s Preliminary Criteria for Additional Masters Programs -- dated 13 April 2006 follows:


In a recent meeting the Institutional Development Committee (IDC) carefully read UNCA’s Mission Statement and concluded that “Additional Masters Program do not appear to be excluded by the Mission Statement.”  To say it differently, additional Masters Programs appear to be permitted by the Mission Statement.


In light of the above IDC has begun the process of formulating criteria to be used in identifying candidates for additional Masters Programs at UNCA.  The criteria below reflect IDC’s current thinking, thinking which will assuredly develop as further opportunities to comment are provided to the university community.  The criteria below are of the nature of necessary conditions, that is, all of the criteria would have to be met for a Masters Program to be seen as appropriate.  Here are the criteria:


     A.  Masters Programs should enhance the undergraduate program.

     B.  Masters Programs should be interdisciplinary and not housed in a specific department.

     C.  Masters Programs should be programs of excellence that UNCA can do better than other


     D. Masters Programs should meet broadly defined community needs.

     E.  Masters Programs should hold promise of longevity.

     F.  No more than 3% (approximately 100) of UNCA students should be in Masters Programs.

     G. Masters Programs should be financially self sustaining.


Once again, these criteria are preliminary.  It should not be inferred from this list that IDC now advocates the

establishment of additional Masters Programs at UNCA, rather, IDC simply holds that if there are to be additional Masters Programs, they should meet specific tests.


One additional consideration has weighed very heavily on IDC’s deliberations, namely, the perceived state of interdisciplinary programs at UNCA.  IDC senses that current interdisciplinary programs are under great strain and that too few full-time faculty are involved in programs such as Arts and Ideas and the Humanities (to name only two).  The ongoing implementation of the new ILS program is also highly interdisciplinary.  It seems prudent to address existing strains on undergraduate interdisciplinary programs before embarking upon additional Masters Programs.


Dr. Larson added that IDC envisions a university-wide process to identify a set of proposals of masters programs. With additional criteria for MLA programs considered as a group, a body would then determine what group of masters programs makes sense for UNCA.  Dr. Downes noted that IDC wanted balance and complementarity - these criteria came out of long, congenial conversations with the Chancellor, and she believed the criteria reflected the Chancellor's feelings.  Dr. Padilla announced that another faculty forum will be held May 3, 2006 to receive additional faculty input.


VIII.   Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report 

          Don Lisnerski reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee. 

          Election Results

          Dr. Gregg Boudreaux distributed the following election results:

          Committee of Tenured Faculty 2006-09

               Humanities:  Scott Walters

              Natural Sciences:  Keith Krumpe

              Social Sciences:  Karin Peterson

          Post-Tenure Review 2006-08

              Humanities:  Tracey Rizzo

              At Large:  Mark McClure

          Faculty Senate 2006-09

              Karen Cole, Mark Harvey, John McClain, Merritt Moseley, Bill Sabo, Betsy Wilson.

              2006-07 Alternates:  Chris Bell, Rob Bowen, Bert Holmes

          Hearings Committee 2006-08:

              Humanities:  Gwen Ashburn

              Natural Sciences:  Steve Patch

              Social Sciences:  Linda Nelms

          Grievance Committee 2006-08:

               Assistant Professor:  Keya Maitra

              Associate Professor:  Irene Rossell

              Professor:  Mark Gibney

          Academic Appeals Board 2006-08:

              Michelle Bettencourt

              Mary Anna LaFratta

              2006-07 Alternate:  Ken Betsalel


          Representative to UNC System Faculty Assembly 2006-09

              Gwen Ashburn

              2006-09 Alternate:  Peg Downes

          Nominees for Alternate Faculty Conciliator

          The Senate approved the following slate of nominees for 2006-07 Alternate Faculty Conciliator: 

Peter Caulfield, Charles James, Pam Laughon, Afaf Omer.  The SGA chooses the Alternate Faculty Conciliator from a list of tenured faculty nominated by the Faculty Senate.  After one year the Alternate becomes the Conciliator.  Bill Sabo is the 2006-07 Faculty Conciliator. 

     First Reading

          The following documents were distributed for First Reading:

          FWDC 12:  Proposal to Eliminate the Academic Support Services Committee (Faculty Handbook 10.4.3)

          FWDC 13:  Proposal to Establish the Campus Commission on the Allocation of Student Services Funds

                           as a Standing Committee (Faculty Handbook 10.4.2)

          FWDC 14:  Proposal to Establish the Teaching Awards Committee as a Standing Committee

                           (Revision of SD0194F) (Faculty Handbook 10.4.29)

          Second Reading

          The following documents were considered for Second Reading:

          FWDC 10:  Professional Development Leave Policy (formerly Off-Campus Scholarly Assignment)

                           (Revision of SD5404S) (Faculty Handbook 4.1.4)

          An editorial correction was made to the proposal.  FWDC 10 passed without dissent as amended and became Senate Document 4506S.


          FWDC 11:  Proposal to Revise Minority Affairs Commission (Revision of SD5000S)

                           (Faculty Handbook 10.3.2)

          Following discussion a friendly amendment was offered to add:  “Two students appointed by the VCSA in consultation with SGA (at least one of whom must be a minority) to serve one year renewable terms.”  FWDC 11 passed without dissent as amended and became Senate Document 4606S.


IX.     Old Business

          There was no Old Business.


X.      New Business

          There was no New Business.


XI.     Adjourn

          Dr. Nickless adjourned the meeting at 5:10 pm.


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Don Lisnerski