University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, February 9, 20063:15pm



Members:          L. Atkinson, G. Boudreaux, K. Cole, L. Cornett, B. Hook, P. Downes, H. Holt, S. Judson,

B. Larson, D. Lisnerski, C. McKenzie, S. Mills, G. Nallan, P. Nickless, M. Ruiz,

S. Walters, J. Wood; M. Padilla.


Excused:          B. Butler.


Visitors:            M. Alm, E. Katz, B. Massey, P. McClellan, J. Noor, A. Shope, B. Spellman.



I.          Call to Order

Pamela Nickless called the meeting to order at 3:19pm and welcomed Senators and guests.


II.         Approval of minutes

The minutes of January 19, 2006, were approved with an editorial correction. 


III.        Administrative Report

            Mark Padilla gave the Administrative Report.

            Discussion of Faculty’s Involvement in the Installation Ceremony for Chancellor Ponder

The Chancellor’s Installation will be on Friday, September 15 at 4:00pm.  Dr. Padilla discussed the faculty’s involvement in the ceremony and using it to showcase what the university represents – its values, traditions, and vision toward the future.  Vice Chancellor Massey is spearheading the early planning effort.

The Senate supported having a festival on the quad that showcased academics of the students and undergraduate research.  They would consider inviting selected alums to meet with students and discuss their earlier research and what they do now.  Scott Walters and Sarah Judson agreed to serve as faculty representatives on the Inauguration Installation Committee.  The Senate suggested that Mr. Massey contact retired faculty members Phyllis Lang and Arnold Wengrow as they live in the area and were both involved in earlier Installations.

Student Affairs Annual Report

            AVC Pat McClellan asked the APC for permission to include the student policies and regulations that appear in the Student Handbook as an appendix in the Catalog.  The added text would add approximately 30 pages to the appendix and would enhance the Catalog as an information source for faculty, staff, and students.  Dr. Nallan suggested that she request a Sense of the Senate.  She proposed the following resolution: 

“The UNC Asheville Faculty Senate supports the inclusion of policies

and regulations related to student life in the Catalog as an Appendix.” 


            Discussion centered on who develops the policies and regulations included in the Catalog.  AVC McClellan stated that there are a variety of sources – SGA, Senate documents, and some are developed across the university as policies.  In each case, there is an approval process at the university.  In general, the appendix would include policies and procedures of interest to students and faculty that are not currently readily accessible.  If a policy is revised, it would go through the Faculty Senate before being included in the Catalog.  The Catalog is not a contractual agreement -- there is a statement to this effect in the Catalog.    

Dr. Nickless suggested that the Catalog needed to be reviewed to improve its organization.  Ms. McClellan welcomed suggestions to improve the Catalog. 

            Dr. Nallan moved to accept the resolution.  Dr. Larson seconded the motion.  The Sense of the Senate resolution passed with no dissenting votes and became Senate Document 2306S.

            Executive Committee’s Role in Campus Searches

Dr. Nickless asked when there would be a search for a registrar.  AVC McClellan replied that the job position ad had been written and approved by senior staff and would go out soon.  Dr. Nickless asked if there was a search committee and, if so, who the faculty members were on the committee.  AVC McClellan could not recall specifically but added that this person serves on the Enrollment Services Committee.  She asked if the Senate would like more faculty representation.    

            Dr. Nickless noted that the Executive Committee would like to be consulted on the make up of search committees for senior staff and for academic administrators – on how many faculty members will serve and who they will be.  We have drifted from this practice in recent years and the Executive Committee wants to be involved and have input.  She will contact Ms. McClellan.

            Alumni and Development

            Mr. Bill Massey, Vice Chancellor of Alumni and Development, distributed an overview of where Alumni and Development was making progress.  He noted that everybody in the university community was busy and we do good work that supports each other but we fail to take the opportunity to talk about it.  He welcomed the chance to meet with departments and share with them what they do.  He highlighted how working together is making a difference, and pointed out cash, pledges, and estate gifts over the last three years: 

            For year 2004    $2,772,341

            For year 2005    $7,012,677

            For year 2006    $5,922,898 (six months of year)


A lot of this money is going into endowment to help secure future opportunities for students and it comes from people who did not attend the university.  His office never hears alums criticize the quality of teaching they received here.  What they recall and remember and value is a relationship, a mentorship, the help that a faculty member provided.  That is the good news.  But we need to be also receiving from people who attended the university.  Together, over time, we will change a culture not recognizing that the relationship is reciprocal and something needs to come back. 

Dr. Nallan asked if our alums had complaints in other areas.  Mr. Massey replied that they do, and his office is working across the university and with Dr. Padilla to promote a shared stewardship.  It is not just what faculty do that matters – it is what everyone does.  Every member of the campus needs to know that how they treat students matters.  The people who deal with students on an everyday basis affect how they feel about UNCA.  It is understanding that how someone is greeted first thing in the morning, how we are sensitive to a death in a family, and how we celebrate victories (whether on the field, on the stage, or in a performance) that all come together and form the whole experience. 

Dr. Padilla suggested asking faculty representatives on the Foundation Board to give a report to the Senate.   


 IV.       Executive Committee Report

            Dr. Nickless reported for the Executive Committee.

When Senators have a Conflict of Interest

Dr. Nickless reported that she received positive feedback on her suggestion at the last meeting that Senators who feel they have a conflict of interest and plan to abstain from voting instead recuse themselves before discussion of the motion.  This makes it clear that the Senator feels a conflict and can not in good conscience vote.  The Senators would move out to the audience but may still speak for or against the motion as a member of the University, but not as a Senator.  She will help with the wording if the 2006-07 Senate chooses to add this to its Standing Rules and Rules of Order next year.

            Standards of Shared Governance on the 16 UNC Campuses

            Senators received a handout on the Standards of Shared Governance on the 16 UNC Campuses with Dr. Nickless’ comments on standards she felt UNCA was either not in compliance with or where we were not meeting our full responsibilities.  She included her personal thoughts on what needs to be done and asked Senators to keep that in mind as they read it and to feel free to email comments to her.  The Executive Committee, Dr. Padilla, and the AVCs will meet March 16 to work on these and other issues.  The Senate will discuss this topic at its March 2nd meeting. 

            Highlights of her comments follow:

  • We need to find ways to be more creative in dealing with curriculum.
  • Is concerned about joint committees, partly because we have changed how we do committee assignments that she is not entirely comfortable with and partly because there are committees that are functioning in ways that do not match their charge. 
  • Is worried that we no longer have a University Planning Council and it is the major theme throughout her comments.
  • Need to re-institute the tradition of including faculty on search committees for all senior staff and academic administrators.  Consulting with elected representatives of the faculty on appointments to search committees should become routine. 


Dr. Nickless added that she is very encouraged in her meetings with Chancellor Ponder who genuinely values both collaboration and collegiality.  This is an opportunity to move forward and build on the good things we have done.  For example, there has been some annoyance that the faculty no longer approve honorary degrees and are not consulted.  The Executive Committee discussed this with Chancellor Ponder and she has indicated a willingness to work with a Distinguished Scholars Committee/Honorary Degree Committee.  The Executive Committee will work with her to provide a better framework for faculty to fulfill this responsibility.     

Updating the Faculty Handbook

Dr. Nickless explained that several items in the Faculty Handbook are out of date and procedural issues need to be addressed.  For example, how do we make changes to the Handbook that do not have Senate documentation?  Who will they come from?  How will the editor know to make the changes?  Also, positions have changed on several committees in the Handbook.  Many of the problems are editorial but those are decisions we have to make. 

Dr. Padilla stated that the most efficient way to update the Handbook is to spend a day going through it with the principal folks line by line and then bringing any issues forward for consideration.  He was willing to participate. 


V.         Student Government Association Report

John Noor, Executive for External Affairs, reported for the Student Government Association.

Student Government Scholarship Assistance Program (SGSAP)

            Mr. Noor distributed an overview on a new Student Government Scholarship Assistance Program (SGSAP).  SGA has been working with Alex Comfort in the Development Office to find ways to fund the program.  The SGSAP will be a program which is led by students, and will interact with the Asheville community to achieve the following goals:

·         To raise funds for current financially disadvantaged academic departments to be awarded as merit based scholarships for students who major within their specific departments.

·         To raise funds for the Study Abroad office to be dispersed as scholarships for students involved in study abroad programs.

·         To raise funds for financially challenged students to be used for textbook purchases. 


            Many of the departments at UNCA have procured scholarship money to be awarded to majors within their department; unfortunately not all of our academic departments at UNCA have been able to acquire as much as others.  SGSAP funds will allow SGA to provide those departments which are disadvantaged with the financial tools to reward students who demonstrate academic excellence in the classroom.

            Dr. Nickless asked how SGA would identify the financially disadvantaged students and the financially disadvantaged academic departments.  Mr. Noor stated that the form will ask students if they qualified for FDSA (Financially Disadvantaged Students) and the Office of Financial Aid will verify the information.  SGA has not decided on a formula to determine the financially disadvantaged academic departments at this time.  The Faculty Senate’s input on that would be appreciated. 

Dr. Padilla suggested that SGA elect to work with departments that agree to work with SGA.  If a department is interested in getting more scholarships for their students and these departments do not have many scholarships, they could reap the rewards by committing themselves as a department to helping the program.     

            SGA Preference Regarding Exam Period

            Mr. Noor reported that SGA does not like how exams are spread over several weeks – they prefer having exams all in one week.  Dr. Nickless stated that she would pass this information to Dr. Whatley.     

New administrative guidelines on Students Who Fail to Maintain Active Full-time Enrollment          Mr. Noor commented on AVC Ray’s report at the last Senate meeting regarding the new administrative guidelines for residential students who fail to maintain full-time enrollment.  The SGA want commuter students to also be required to meet with the Dean of Students if they drop below 12 credit hours.  AVC McClellan stated that the plan will eventually be expanded to include commuter students. 

            Student Involvement in the Development Process

            Mr. Noor stated that students would love to be involved and active in the development process that Vice Chancellor Massey reported on.


VI.        Institutional Development Committee Report

            Bruce Larson reported for the Institutional Development Committee. 

            First Reading:

            The following document was distributed for First Reading:

            IDC 1:   Intent to Establish B.A. Degree in Religious Studies.


            Dr. Larson reported that last year the Senate approved a Request to Plan a B.A. Degree in Religious Studies and IDC 1 is the follow up proposal.  He explained that a page was missing from the proposal and it will be forwarded to Senators.


VII.       Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report 

            Don Lisnerski reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee. 

            First Reading

            The following documents were distributed for First Reading:

            FWDC  6:  Proposal to Revise University Research Council (Revision to SD0981F)

                             (Faculty Handbook 10.3.5).
            FWDC  9:  Proposal to Establish a Transportation Committee (Faculty Handbook 10.4.15).


VIII.      Academic Policies Committee Report

            Gary Nallan reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

            First Reading

[Unanimously Approved by APC]

The following documents were distributed for First Reading:

APC 18:  Delete IST 490; Add new courses IST 290 and 499.  Remove allowable repeat of IST 495.

APC 19:  Changes to the Individual Degree Concentration Narrative.  Changes to the Individual

   Degree Concentration Major Requirements.


APC Approved as Minor Proposals:

[Senators review these documents via links on the agenda emailed campus-wide.]


APC 20:  Return SOC 230 to the curriculum, changing title and description. 

APC 20 became Senate Document 2406S.


APC 21:  Changes in credit given to AP Latin.

APC 21 became Senate Document 2506S.


APC 22:  Changes to Women’s Studies Elective Options; Change Title of WMST 365.

APC 22 became Senate Document 2606S.


APC 23:  Renaming of Women’s Studies Distribution Category and Resulting Editorial Changes.

APC 23 became Senate Document 2706S.


APC 24:  Addition of HIST 306: Southern Women’s History, and HIST 307: Women in the Modern

  Civil Rights Movement.

APC 24 became Senate Document 2806S.


            Academic Honesty

            Following discussion of the academic honesty/dishonesty policy, APC concluded that the policy needs to be revised.  Brian Hook and Leigh Atkinson will work with AVC McClellan to rewrite the policy.


IX.        Old Business

            There was no Old Business.


X.         New Business

There was no New Business.


XI.        Adjourn

            Dr. Nickless adjourned the meeting at 4:38pm.


Respectfully submitted by:          Sandra Gravely

                                                Don Lisnerski