Senate Document Number 4606S
of Senate Approval
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Statement of Faculty Senate Action:
Effective: Fall 2006
Under Faculty Handbook Section 10.3.2:
Two faculty elected by the Senate (at least two of whom must be a minority) to serve two-year renewable, rotating terms.
Two faculty appointed by the VCAA (at least one of whom must be a minority) to serve two year renewable, rotating terms
Two minority students appointed by the VCSA to serve one year renewable terms.
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, ex officio.
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, ex officio.
Affirmative Action Officer, ex officio, ex officio.
Coordinator of Multi-Cultural Student Programs, ex officio.
Director of Minority and Diversity Affairs, ex officio.
Three faculty elected by the Senate (at least two of whom must be a minority) to serve three-year renewable, rotating terms.
Three faculty appointed by the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs (at least one of whom must be a minority) to serve three year renewable, rotating terms.
Two students appointed by the VCSA in consultation with
Associate Vice-Chancellor for Student and Academic Services; ex officio and non-voting.
Dean of Students; ex officio and non-voting.
Director, The Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs; ex officio and non-voting.
Assistant Director for Multicultural Organizations and Events; ex officio and non-voting.
Assistant Director for Multicultural Student Development; ex officio and non-voting
Affirmative Action Officer; ex officio and non-voting.
1. All member officers of the Minority Affairs Commission and the director of Admissions and Financial Aid will routinely report to the Commission at its regular meetings any activities related to minority and diversity affairs.
2. The chair will be elected by the Commission from the minority faculty representation. The chair’s duties include calling meetings and setting the agenda for meetings.
3. The secretary will be elected by the Commission from any voting member of the Commission. The secretary’s duties will include keeping minutes and distributing them prior to the meeting. If he/she is unable to attend the meeting the chair must designate someone to fulfill this responsibility.
4. Members of the commission will be selected prior to April 15 of each year for terms beginning with the next academic year.
Since 1986 when the original Commission was created, UNCA has grown and changed, especially regarding administrative structure. Thus the changes recommended here are intended to make the Commission reflective of and responsive to these changes. Three year terms for faculty will ensure that the work of the Commission is on-going. In the past, two year terms have not been sufficient for continuity of work. The first year on the commission is typically a learning year; three year terms will be more productive. Terms will be staggered so that there are two new members appointed each year. The faculty on the commission has been unable to complete important work in the recent past due to turnover and work-load. Increasing the size of the Commission will provide more willing hands. In addition, as the faculty has grown, we have an increasing number of faculty who would like to serve on the commission and increasing the faculty slots will provide more opportunities.