Senate Document Number 3006S
of Senate Approval
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Statement of Faculty Senate Action:
FWDC 6: Proposal
(Revision to SD0981F) (Faculty Handbook 10.3.5)
Effective Date: Immediately
Under Faculty Handbook Section 10.3.5:
1) Delete: Under Purpose:
1. To encourage and facilitate participation in academic research and professional communication of that research on the part of all members of the UNCA faculty
2. To encourage and facilitate participation in institutional research and development programs when such programs transcend the normal research and development activities of institutional or administrative offices.
3. To aid faculty members and administrators in identifying sources of funds.
4. To serve as an advisory board regarding guidelines for all grant proposals, especially those which involve continuing matching funds on the part of the institution.
5. To advise the administration on matters relevant to the encouragement and support of university research.
6. To award intramural funds for research as they may become available.
7. To participate in the selection process, including formulation of job description and hiring criteria, for personnel involved in fund raising or grantsmanship of such a nature as to be of concern to this council; and to provide continued input regarding the responsibilities and activities of such personnel.
Add: Under Purpose:
1. To encourage and facilitate faculty participation in academic research, scholarship, and creative projects, and professional communication of that work.
2. To advise the administration on matters relevant to the encouragement and support of university research.
3. To award available intramural funds for faculty’s scholarly activities.
4. To recognize faculty who have been productive with research and scholarly activities and honor them with a monetary award.
2. Delete: Under Membership:
Three members of URC shall be administrators, including the Director of Special Academic Programs, and two persons shall be appointed by the Chancellor. One of these appointments shall be from the area of Academic Affairs and the other from Student Services. These two members shall be appointed for a one-year term. The officers of URC will be Chair and Secretary, with the usual responsibilities of each position. They will be elected by the Council on an annual basis.
Add: Under Membership:
[The sixth member shall be an administrator recommended by the Provost and will be ex officio. URC will elect a chair each year.]
3. Delete Under Members of URC submitting grant proposals:
URC committee members who submit a proposal to the Intramural Faculty Research Program (see Section 6.5.1) will be disqualified from the proposal review process. The disqualified members will be replaced by past URC committee members from the same or a closely related academic discipline.
Add: Under Members of URC submitting grant proposals:
[No members actively serving on URC may submit a proposal for funding during the designated submission period.]
4. Delete: Under Reports to
Add: Under Reports to
Changes here have been made in accord with recent and current practice, due in part to functions assumed by the Office of Sponsored Research. In addition, this change should clarify existing confusion regarding purpose and membership.