University of North Carolina at Asheville
Minutes, August 31, 2000

Members: M. Burchard, P. Caulfield, F. Davenport, R. Dunning, C. James, K. Krumpe,
J. Kuhlman, B. Larson, H. Lee, P. McClellan, D. Peifer, J. Rackham, T. Rizzo,
G. Wilson; P. Nickless (alt.); T. Cochran.

Excused: C. Mitchell.

Visitors: B. Bagwell, S. Browning, J. Comstock, S. Cornish, M. Ghidina, G. Nallan, J. Pitts, B. Sabo, A. Shope, M. Sidelnick, R. Southern.


I. Call to Order
Dr. Caulfield called the meeting to order at 3:19 pm and welcomed visitors and senators.

II. Announcements
Dr. Caulfield postponed the announcements until later in the meeting.

III. Approval of minutes
The minutes of April 13, 2000, May 4, 2000 (3:15 pm) and May 4, 2000 (4:30 pm) were approved following editorial corrections.

IV. Administrative Report
Vice Chancellor Tom Cochran gave the Administrative Report.
Recruitment of Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Dr. Cochran announced a half-time Associate Vice Chancellor position in Academic Affairs will be available beginning Spring 2001. Any tenured faculty member is eligible for consideration. The Faculty Senate Executive Committee will assist in screening persons interested in the position.

Enrollment for Fall 2000 is 2,785 FTE -- a 50 FTE increase over last year. This modest increase could generate one or two positions.

II. Return to Announcements
Dr. Caulfield introduced Buffy Bagwell, the new director of Human Resources. Ms. Bagwell has resided in Asheville since 1981 and has worked for AB Tech the last 17 years. She invited senators to voice their concerns about any perceived weaknesses in the department, or to discuss ways to improve Human Resources.

Dr. Caulfield introduced Joni Comstock, the new director of Athletics. Dr. Comstock is a former senior associate athletic director at Purdue University. Dr. Comstock noted that athletics should be a supplemental activity to learning; she will strive to raise the performance of the athletic department to match UNCA's academics. Members of the athletic department want to be good partners and good colleagues. She encouraged senators to call her if they have any concerns.

Dr. Brenda Greene, the new Assistant to the Chancellor for Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, was unable to attend the meeting today. She will be introduced at the next meeting.

III. Return to Administrative Report
Dr. Cochran reported UNCA's enrollment budget was reduced to 2,750 FTE this year. There is no new money in the system for adjuncts or operating budgets and we will not receive the positions we anticipated. General Administration trimmed the projected enrollment budgets of all UNC schools that failed to reach their 1999-00 enrollment targets. This is a residual impact of hurricane Floyd and the relief money that was needed to aid counties across the state.

Department budget allocations were announced Monday. The Administration took the three-year average of each department's operating budget -- minus equipment -- and allocated everyone 95% of the three-year average. The Council of Chairs will assist in allocating equipment funds.

Revitalized lab in RH-105
NC State donated approximately $200K in equipment to UNCA because of our partnership in the mechatronics program. The equipment will be used to restore the computer science lab in RH-105 and for electronics in the physics department. UNCA's total equipment budget is about $300K. This donation is due in part to Mike Littlejohn's willingness to have a cooperative program with NC State.

New lab in Carmichael Hall
Funding has been secured for a new lab in Carmichael Hall and the computers should be available soon. The lab in Rhoades Hall 015, used primarily by the math department, has been revitalized. While we have made some headway, we still need smart classrooms and need to upgrade the lab in Zageir Hall.

BOT approval of Mission Statement
The Board of Trustees approved the mission statement submitted by the SACS UNCA Self-study Executive Committee.

V. Executive Committee Report
Dr. Peter Caulfield gave the Executive Committee Report.
The 2000-2001 Senate Structure
The following changes have been made to the Senate subcommittees: Gordon Wilson is moving from IDC/UPC to FWDC. Jeff Rackham is moving from IDC/UPC to APC. Jim Kuhlman is moving from APC to IDC/UPC. All alternates are asked to attend Senate meetings whenever possible. Although they have "voice without a vote" their participation is important.

The Chancellor's task forces on Retention, Diversity and Community Partnerships
Dr. Caulfield referred to Chancellor Mullen's comments at the May 4 Senate meeting regarding the Retention, Diversity, and Community Partnerships task force reports. The reports will be placed on an internal web page for the campus community to read and comment on. The Chancellor will E-mail the process for considering the reports and will work closely with the Faculty Senate, making certain the appropriate committees have an opportunity to review the reports next semester. The Senate is awaiting the recommendations from the appropriate vice chancellors, as each report contains a particular area of authority for each vice chancellor. Dr. Larson noted that Chancellor Mullen asked Marcia Ghidina and Sherry Gale (co-chairs of compliance and enhancement respectively) to flag items in the three reports which they thought were of particular significance to the various committees/subcommittees.

The subcommittee on Post Tenure Review (PTR)
The membership of the subcommittee on Post Tenure Review follows:
William Bruce, Chair, 1999-2000 FWDC chair;
Tracey Rizzo, present chair of FWDC;
Rick Chess, has served on both the PTR and the Tenure Committee; and
Lothar Dohse, has chaired both the PTR and an academic department.

The subcommittee anticipates reporting to the Senate at the beginning of the spring term.

The subcommittee on UNCA's Grading structure
The membership of the subcommittee on UNCA's Grading Structure follows:
Rob Bowen, Chair, former member of APC
Forest Davenport, member of APC
Mike Ruiz
Alan Combs
Rebecca Sensabaugh, ex-officio member from the Registrar's Office.

The subcommittee anticipates bringing their report to the September 14 Senate meeting.

Report on academic achievements of our student athletes - Gary Nallan
Dr. Gary Nallan has served as UNCA's faculty representative to the NCAA and the Big South Conference for over three years. He distributed a comparison of UNCA student athletes versus non-athlete academic performance over a ten-year period. In summary, our student athletes are doing very well in the classroom. It is important to consider the time commitment that a student athlete makes to their athletics -- when they are in season they may practice 20 hours a week in addition to traveling and competing. We should thank Admissions, and the coaches for recruiting the right kind of student athletes, and we should congratulate the student athletes. According to Steve Cornish, the academic advisor for student athletes and the men's head soccer coach, one explanation why nearly 21% of the student athletes make the dean's list can be contributed to fewer turnover in coaches. UNCA's student athlete graduation rate is about 75% compared to about 50% non-athletes. Dr. Kuhlman noted that this achievement contradicts some of the stereotypes that society in general carry about student athletes. Dr. Caulfield suggested that Dr. Nallan and Mr. Cornish talk to Merianne Epstein about carrying a story in UNCA Today. Dr. Peifer stated that in general student athletes are very good students and very diligent. They tend to do worse the semester they are not playing. Mr. Cornish said this is typical because time management is critical during the playing season and noted that many teams exceed the average GPA.

VI. Student Government Association Report
Ryan Southern reported for the Student Government Association.
Mr. Southern hopes to strengthen the relationship between the SGA and the faculty this year. The SGA's main concern this fall will be promoting the bond referendum and registering students to vote.

Student involvement in the SGA has been renewed this year. Approximately 40 students expressed an interest in serving student government this year -- of which 30 are freshmen. This is compared to six last year.

Student elections will be held on-line. The computer center program is completely anonymous and secure. Students will access the ballot using their ID number and birth date.

Fall fling is scheduled the first weekend in October.

Dr. Caulfield noted that the SGA presented the Honor Code to the Faculty Senate last year and it has gone to APC for consideration.

The SGA webpage is being revamped and will be available soon.

VII. Academic Policies Committee Report
Dr. Caulfield reported that Cathy Mitchell is recovering from surgery and was unable to attend the meeting. Mr. Robert Dunning is coordinating schedules for APC meetings which will begin in mid-September. APC members should expect to meet weekly for three hours from fall break through exams this semester.

VIII. Institutional Development Committee/University Planning Council Report
Dr. Bruce Larson gave the Institutional Development Committee/University Planning Council Report.
Dr. Larson distributed IDC/UPC's tentative meeting schedule for fall and spring semesters. He has developed a preliminary IDC/UPC Handbook so new members can have a sense of what the committee does and why.

As Chair of IDC, Dr. Larson is involved in the Chancellor's Cabinet, the Financial Planning Committee, and the Space Planning Committee. The Chair of IDC and the Faculty Senate Chair both serve on the Chancellor's Cabinet and the Space Planning Committee.

The Chancellor has charged the Financial Planning Committee with trying to integrate more fully the financial planning and the strategic planning of the university. One of the weaknesses of UPC, and as a result IDC, has been the failure to integrate these two. This is a positive move for the university and we should thank the Chancellor for moving us in this direction.

In the course of the year, they will continue working to coordinate the work at UPC, IDC and the Institutional Effectiveness Committee (IEC). Pat McClellan will Chair the IEC again this year. Over the next month, UPC/IDC will consider a Request to Establish a Program in Interdisciplinary Studies with a concentration in Ethics & Social Institutions. They will also look at the Perceptions of Administrative Offices survey administered last spring and a report from the Information Technology Task Force.

IX. Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report
Dr. Tracey Rizzo gave the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report.
Election Results
- Academic Appeals Board: Jeanne McGlinn, Alice Weldon.
- Post Tenure Review Committee: Betsy Wilson, Debra Van Engelen.
- Alternate Faculty Conciliator: The SGA has named Lisa Friedenberg to this position. Keith Ray is the faculty conciliator.

Replacement for Marcia Ghidina on Grievance Committee
Karen Cole will replace Marcia Ghidina on the Grievance Committee. Dr. Ghidina is ineligible to serve given her new position as Chair of the Sociology Department. Dr. Cole was the next highest vote-getter in the Social Sciences.

Nominees for UNCA Representative to UNC System Faculty Assembly Election
The Senate approved nominees Duane Davis and Milton Ready for the Faculty Assembly election ballot. These names will be submitted to the faculty for a general election. The highest vote-getter will serve as our representative for the 2000-2003 term; the next highest will serve as the alternate for the concurrent term. The representative will serve with Don Lisnerski, whose term of service ends next fall.

Nominees for University Relations Faculty Advisory Committee
The Senate nominated Robert Yeager (humanities); Alan Combs (social sciences) and Rick Maas (natural sciences) to serve on the University Relations Faculty Advisory Committee. They will serve alongside those whose term of service ends next fall: Gene Rainey, Helen Wykle, and Milton Ready.

Nominee to serve on the Distinguished Scholars Committee
The Senate nominated Merritt Moseley to replace retiree Jim Perry on the Distinguished Scholars Committee.

Honorary Degree Recipients
Last spring, the Senate passed a resolution asking the Chancellor to establish a mechanism for soliciting faculty input for the selection of honorary degree recipients. So far, his only position is that all faculty should feel free to submit names for consideration.

Senate Representative on the Chancellor's Staff Advisory Council (CSAC)
Pat McClellan volunteered to serve as the Senate representative on the Chancellor's Staff Advisory Council. Marilyn Lonon is the Chair of CSAC.

X. Old Business
There was no Old Business.

XI. New Business
Faculty Handbook
Dr. Lisa Friedenberg has agreed to update the Faculty Handbook. There will be a web version as well as a hard copy version.

Moving Pegagus Press into Zageir Hall
Dr. Caulfield received a letter from a number of Chairs and former Chairs in Zageir Hall about the decision to move Pegasus Press into the area occupied by Printing Services. Since the letter asked that IDC take this under consideration, he passed a copy of the letter to Dr. Larson. Bill Sabo, Mark Sidelnick and Marcia Ghidina were present to voice their concerns. An hour-long discussion followed.

Dr. Sabo explained that while no formal announcement had been made, the rumor circulating in Zageir was Pegasus Press would be moved from a house on Vivian Street, thus making that building available for a new Day Care Center following renovations. In turn, Pegasus Press is going to be given the space in Zageir currently occupied by Printing Services and a temporary building will be built on Division Street to house Printing Services. Dr. Sabo argued two points. First he raised the question of priorities claiming prime space that should be used for academic purposes such as badly needed classrooms and faculty offices. The second priority ought to be support services for academic work. Printing Services is such a support operation but now it was being moved to an inconvenient location to make room for a private business. The top two priorities were being ignored for no apparent reason. About four years ago Dr. Yeager came to the Senate and discussed Pegasus Press and its position and role on campus. He was asked -- are you asking the university to subsidize this --and he replied no, absolutely not.

Second, Dr. Sabo argued that the decision ignored a considerable amount of faculty effort. A lot of planning has gone into using the space in Zageir. The Chairs at the time worked the equivalent of two or three days, preparing plans, meeting with architects, and discussing ways the space would be used. To his knowledge, the Space Planning Committee never saw any of these reports. They also apparently did not see a report prepared by the committee examining the wisdom of outsourcing Printing Services which argued there is value in having Printing Services conveniently located on campus. This is an all too familiar refrain on campus -- faculty are asked to do something only to have their efforts ignored. He noted too, that the campus has priority and planning lists and, to his knowledge, moving Pegasus Press on campus and affiliating it more closely with the university was not discussed as a priority concern.

Individuals in Zageir have been told this decision has been made through proper channels, but Dr. Sabo claimed he saw no evidence of that. He urged the Faculty Senate to consider what constitutes faculty governance and what role the Faculty Senate has in making important decisions regarding the allocation of scarce resources.

Dr. Sidelnick noted that Dr. Yeager told him Pegasus Press was going to be located where Printing Services is now but he was very clear to distance himself from having anything to do with that decision. He argued that because the chancellor has made the Day Care Center a priority, the impression is being given that the Chairs in Zageir are interfering with those plans and not being team players. In fact, however, the Chairs were never consulted, nor do they really know at this point that this is going to take place. All they know is that some people have been told that they are going to move.

Dr. Caulfield asked Dr. Browning or Vice Chancellor Cochran to comment. Dr. Browning stated that the chancellor formed the Space Planning Committee (SPC) last spring; Peter Caulfield, Tom Cochran, Gregg Kormanik, and several other folks served on the committee.

The Day Care Center was presented to them as a priority designated by the Chancellor in response to faculty, staff and student preferences. The SPC is charged with taking an institutional perspective and reports to the chancellor and the chancellor's cabinet. The committee adopted a simple principle to guide its decision: space inside University Heights should be devoted to instructional purposes and other types of activities should be moved outside the circle to the periphery of campus.

In the case of Pegasus Press, the dominos started with the identification of Vivian Street as the location for the Day Care Center. Whether it was a wise choice or not was not open to discussion since private money was available to renovate the structure. It was also the opinion of both Dr. Yeager and the proponents of the Day Care Center that they could not share the space.

The committee initially considered two locations on Division street for Pegasus Press. Dr. Yeager toured the sites along with Mr. Baxley and others and concluded they were unsuitable partly because they were not handicap accessible and trucks could not access them.

Regarding Printing Services, there had been a recommendation several years ago to move Printing Services from Zageir to make room for instructional space. The SPC felt that idea had merit since it would be possible to maintain a quick print facility on campus while the production work could take place elsewhere. The suggestion was made that we might be able to find the money to develop a building on Division Street that would eventually become a new location for physical plant facilities, thus freeing space for offices and classrooms in Zageir. After Dr. Yeager met with the Chancellor the Space Planning Committee was told that Pegasus Press would go to Zageir.

Dr. Sabo agreed that the committee should take an institutional perspective but noted that it has apparently been decided that Pegasus Press is part of UNCA and that it is a sufficiently important instructional support resource that the committee's guiding principle and top recommendation could be ignored. Dr. Browning noted that the SPC is a recommending committee just like the Senate and suggested that Dr. Cochran, as a member of the Pegasus Press Board of Directors, may have a greater sense of its value and whether this could be worked out.

Mr. Dunning questioned how Pegasus Press supported instruction more than Printing Services and whether any consideration was given to locating Pegasus Press in the new prefab building and leaving Printing Services in Zageir. Dr. Browning agreed that Printing Services provides good support but the committee felt that faculty offices and instructional space were clearly more important for that particular square footage than its current use as a print shop.

Dr. Nickless asked what our institutional commitment to Pegasus Press was. Dr. Cochran replied that there is a memo of understanding in terms of having the press located here. They are a separate entity, a 501 C organization, with a separate Board of Directors and a separate source of income. UNCA monitors their books as part of its role as an affiliate. That is the only commitment we made to Pegasus Press. The institution felt, and he still feels, that it is advantageous for UNCA to be affiliated with a university press, especially one that is related to the humanities which is one of our core areas. At first we simply offered them an available storage facility on Vivian Street. We are providing them a space, and the maintenance and service for that space because of the perceived advantages to the institution in having them on campus.

Dr. Ghidina asked if Pegasus Press would pay for the renovation or if it was part of the broader support services that UNCA is providing. It seems renovation money goes beyond basic institutional support. Dr. Cochran responded that Pegasus Press cannot build the space nor can they pay for renovations.

Dr. Ghidina asked Dr. Browning to clarify whether the committee recommended moving Pegasus Press into Zageir. Dr. Browning replied that it was not their initial recommendation; however it ended up in the report but way down on the list of options. Dr. Sidelnick expressed concern that the director of a private enterprise was evidently given options about where Pegasus Press would be located while academic Chairs were not consulted even though the decision directly affected much needed academic space. He asked how a memo arrangement with this operation could translate into occupying prime academic space without consulting the departments. Dr. Caulfield noted that Dr. Yeager was not here to answer any questions and it seems appropriate that at some point he and the Chancellor should have the opportunity to address the Senate and give their interpretation of the decision.

Dr. Krumpe noted that since it will take five years before construction begins if the bond issue passes this fall, space issues will continue. He suggested that the Senate be provided information on all the outside entitles that occupy space on campus and how the university determines what operations will be affiliated with it. Dr. Caulfield stated that the Faculty Senate is to participate in faculty governance but the ultimate authority rests with the chancellor. Dr. Larson commented that IDC can not solve all the communication problems of the university but they will review this matter. Dr. Rizzo stated that FWDC will also consider this issue. There is some distrust of the decision-making process and it would be helpful to have a map of the various committees and who they report to. She felt there is a good committee structure in place; perhaps faculty are not aware of the decision-making functions. However, the Senate should review a dispute when it emerges. Dr. Caulfield noted the Chancellor has moved to broaden his cabinet significantly and added the Chairs of IDC, the Faculty Senate, CSAC, and a number of other folks on campus. He is seeking the broadest possible input. It might be useful to add a report from the chancellor's cabinet at each Senate meeting to keep senators informed of decisions.

Mr. Kuhlman was concerned about the effect of decisions that are made ad hoc or in isolation without considering the holistic impact. Decisions on space allocation are clearly under the purview of the faculty in a very broad sense and even the investment of the money. The repair and renovation money that will be spent to convert the current Printing Services space could be used to create smart classrooms. Dr. Krumpe made a motion that was later withdrawn.

Dr. Cochran suggested that the Senate focus on the process of how this particular committee made its recommendations and how the Chancellor in further consultation with that committee arrived at a final decision. He made the decision in good faith, knowing the decision would not please folks in Zageir.

Dr. Larson suggested that IDC look into the general issue of space utilization and bring a report back to the Senate in October. Dr. Ghidina stated that whatever the Senate and IDC decide is fine, but she thought this was bigger than someone being unhappy and the need for better communication. It has come from this conversation that it violates the principles upon which space is supposed to be prioritized. She suggested that the Senate relook at our commitment to Pegagus Press as well as our priority to consider space for instructional purposes first and foremost.

XII. Adjournment
Dr. Caulfield adjourned the meeting at 5:25 pm.

Respectfully submitted by: Sandra Gravely
                                             Tracey Rizzo