University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, March 18, 2010



Members:   C. Bell, R. Berls, G. Boudreaux, L. Dohse, G. Ettari, V. Frank, B. Haas, G. Heard, J. Konz,

                        B. Larson, A. Lanou, K. Moorhead, L. Nelms, E. Pearson, D. Pierce, K. Reynolds, L. Russell,

                        M. Sidelnick;  J. Fernandes.


Visitors:        G. Ashburn, P. Catterfeld, P. Downes, L. Friedenberg, C. Hennon, E. Katz, K. Krumpe,

                        P. McClellan, C. McKenzie, R. Pente, B. Massey, L. McCane,  C. Mercer, C. Riley, A. Shope,

                        S. Subramaniam, G. Voos, B. Yearout.



I.         Call to Order, Introductions and Announcements

            Dr. Lothar Dohse called the meeting to order at 3:16pm and welcomed Senators and guests.  He congratulated Dr. Jeff Konz on his appointment as Dean of the Social Sciences.


II.        Approval of minutes 

            The minutes of January 21, 2010 and February 11, 2010 were approved with editorial corrections.


III.       Executive Committee Report

            Dr.  Lothar Dohse reported for the Executive Committee.

            Development Office

            Mr. Bill Massey, Executive Director of UNC Asheville Foundation, reported on the Development Office.  

            Highlights follow:

       The faculty representatives on UNC Asheville Foundation Board this year are excellent; they are bringing helpful, useful and informed opinion to the Foundation Board that the Directors (most of whom are members of our business community) appreciate and value.  Thank you for your selection. 

   The Development Office is currently working with 38 colleagues on various funding projects.  

       The Foundation Directors are excellent resources for some of your classrooms.  They are willing to bring their talents to the university and Mr. Massey is willing to facilitate this process. 

   The gifts of faculty and staff members who support the university are appreciated. 

       New activities:  Development will host a series of planned giving seminars for people in the community who are beginning to think about estate planning.  They will also be meeting with estate attorneys and financial managers in the Asheville and Hendersonville areas.  There are new attorneys and new financial planners who may be less familiar with UNC Asheville and we want to be sure that they understand our ability to work with them on estate gifts in ways that many of the nonprofits in town are not able to do.


       Dr. Dohse noted that Mr. Massey’s job title had changed.  He asked if his responsibilities also changed.

-       Mr. Massey said the job did change.  He no longer supervises the Alumni division or the Publications division.  He focuses exclusively on development. 

   Dr. Dohse asked if a large donor can change the direction of the university. 

-       Mr. Massey said no.  In fact three years ago we declined an opportunity for a significant gift which came with stipulations that the donor be able to choose among candidates for a professor position.  But that would not be a decision made by the Development Office. 

-       Dr. Fernandes said she was involved in one event where a donor tried to determine what was taught.  The donor’s goals and the university’s goals need to match in order to make a gift. 

       Ms. Nelms noted that Development lost personnel due to budget constraints.  Are there plans to hire more people in Development when the budget improves? 

-       Mr. Massey said they are at the same staffing level as seven years ago.  When the budget improves the entire university will be evaluating where the needs are and he hopes to be very involved.  It needs to be considered in the whole spectrum of the university.  He thanked Ms. Nelms for recognizing the loss of personnel.    

The report is available:[1].htm


            Search for campus General Counsel 

            Chief of Staff Christine Riley reported on the search for campus General Counsel.  Highlights follow:

       There were 38 applications for the general counsel position of whom five or six were within the university system.  We had telephone interviews with six people.  We invited four applicants to campus and three accepted. This concluded the search.  A conditional offer has been extended and accepted contingent upon approval by the Board of Trustees.  Once that process is successful we can announce our next general counsel to the campus. 

   Dr. Dohse asked how this iteration of the general counsel would be different from the last one.

       Ms. Riley said this will be different in several ways.  Mainly, we just know more now.  Tom Lawton, our previous general counsel, was the first one that our campus had so we were building that as we went along.  We learned a lot from the work that he did with us and also through the search process. 

-       The ways it will be different which will be more visible to the campus is that we anticipate more preventive legal work.  We specifically looked for candidates who have both interest and experience in educational programs, essentially before problems arise, so we can be more knowledgeable about the legal issues. You will see more outreach and education than we were able to provide in the past.  Another way is that we specifically looked for and talked to our candidates about looking for a partner in building systems.  The last way that is different is that the person that we have hired has been in the university system for many years.  There is a lot of system knowledge – knowing who to call, what office does what and how the campuses operate.  Certainly our campus culture will be new and it will be a transition from another campus, but it will not be as large a learning curve as if we had a general counsel who is not from the university system. 

       Dr. Lanou asked if this person will be able to help faculty and staff who are emigrating from another country.  That has been an issue in the past. 

-       Ms. Riley said this is not a specialty of this person nor is it a specialty of any of the candidates that we talked to, but there is experience with immigration issues on the university campus in the UNC system.  General Administration recognized that immigration issues are complicated and there is now an immigration specialist on the legal team at GA and we can take advantage of that expertise.  The other part of that is that we need to know about immigration issues early on to navigate the very complicated system. 

       Dr. Lanou asked if the administration considered sharing the general counsel with another university so we did not bear the entire burden of the counsel’s salary in this lean economy.

-       Ms. Riley said others have also posed this question.  However it is not an option as we are required by the UNC system to have our own legal counsel.

            Dr. Dohse thanked Ms. Riley for meeting with the Senate and answering questions. 


            UNCA Centers Informational Report 

            Dr. Dohse reported that about four months ago the Senate was asked to write a summary report on the various research centers and operations at the time.  The motivation behind the investigation was twofold: to help clarify the role these centers play within the University and to give an objective summary of the costs and benefits of each center.  Information for this report was obtained through interviews and correspondence with the respective directors of each Center, and verified by UNC Asheville’s Office of Finance and Operations.    

            Dr. Dohse noted that the Environmental Quality Institute (EQI) and the Mossbauer Effect and Data Center (MEDC) were both Centers that were started by faculty who had very good research projects that developed and blossomed into a center whereas the other three were initiated from outside sources: 

      NEMAC (National Environmental Modeling and Analysis Center) was established to utilize UNCA’s proximity to the National Climatic Data Center in downtown Asheville and its resources.  

      PARSEC (Pisgah Astronomical Research and Education Center) has a satellite tracking station nearby that became useful for education when that became available for public use. 

      The CCCD (Center for Crafts, Creativity and Design) was established by General Administration to encourage and support crafts in the region. 


            The table on the last page is an overview of UNCA Centers’ 2008-09 expenditures from Steve Birkhofer in Finance and Operations.  Dr. Dohse noted that all of the Centers do not agree with these numbers, but it is important to see the University’s perspective of the expenditures.  An important point:  the State Funds for EQI is the proportion of the faculty member’s salary and benefits involved when they get reassigned time.  It is not actual cash.  Dr. Steve Patch has a class at this time and was unable to be here.  Dr. Patch’s response was distributed to Senators. 

            Dr. Dohse said his overall view is that students benefitted from these centers.  It is sad to let research units go because of the non-tangible benefits they provided to our campus.

            The Report on UNC Asheville's Research Center by Dr. Lothar Dohse is available at:[1].pdf

            Addendum to Report (EQI Response) by Dr. Steve Patch is available at:[1].htm


           Dr. Haas referred to the money Dr. Patch had for scholarships and a rainy-day fund and asked where the money has gone and if those scholarships will continue. 

     Dr. Dohse explained:

-       Part of the money was used on severance packages for people who were let go. 

-       Money is still in various accounts; some money is being used to start the non-profit. 

-       It is not clear where the remainder of the money will go. 

    Dr. Katz said he has been working with Dr. Patch to ensure that the students who had funds committed to them are honored. 

    Dean Krumpe said some of the funds are being used to pay (as a subcontractor) Marilyn Westphal to complete the contracts and reports to bring other projects to fruition and additional money that are owed to UNC Asheville can be brought into the university.  Also, to prevent any return of funds that would have to go back to the original funding agencies for not completing the projects.  Some funds have been set aside to accommodate additional expenses in the future; over the years, EQI has sent out a number of kits that may be returned to the university.  Some funds will be returned to the original funding agency.  Some funds will be used to reimburse people who submitted kits late.  Even though EQI is officially closed and no longer operating on our campus, it will be a number of months before all of the budgetary transactions are complete.

           Dr. Dohse said that NEMAC probably has the largest group of students working for them.  Jim Fox, Director of NEMAC, hopes that more faculty will become involved with that program.    


IV.      Faculty Welfare and Development Committee

            Dr. George Heard reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

            Nominees for Academic Appeals Board ballot

            The Faculty Senate approved a slate of nominees for the Academic Appeals Board election ballot: 


Erica Abrams-Locklear            (Literature and Language)

George Heard                           (Chemistry)

Irene Rossell                              (Environmental Studies)

Bill Haas                                        (Sociology and Anthropology)

Cathy Whitlock                          (Mathematics)

Melodie Galloway                   (Music)

Kate Zubko                                 (Religious Studies)


            Extension of terms of two members on the Writing Intensive Subcommittee

            FWDC asked the Senate to consider extending the terms of two Writing Intensive Subcommittee members to ensure that there are only two new members on WI each year.  Two new members will be appointed by next year’s FWDC for terms of 2010-2014, completing this process.  No more terms will need to be extended.  The Senate extended the two terms of two members:

       Patrick Bahls to serve 2007-2011.

       Melissa Smith to serve 2010-2012.


            Second Reading

            The following documents were considered for Second Reading:


    FWDC 4:  Electronic Student Rating of Instruction; Handbook Section


    FWDC 4 was edited to read: “The evaluation instruments are to be administered electronically, facilitated by the Director of Institutional Research and the Assistant Provost for Academic Administration. “

            Dr. Boudreaux urged Senators to reject this document until several issues are addressed:

      The implementation of an incentive system should be presented in writing before the Senate agrees to an online system.

      The current document should contain an escape clause if the response rate is unacceptably low.  The Senate should determine in advance what unacceptably low means.

      Why does the online implementation not follow the SRI task force recommendation from April 2006? The reports says:  “… to experiment with an electronic process?  A pilot test would be helpful in identifying the problems for such a process …. and response rates could be addressed.”  

       Why do we allow the SRI, which is an opinion survey (student opinions of our teaching), to act as the major assessment tool of our teaching in light of the strong comments made at our last Senate meeting by Dr. Sidelnick who argued that the strong negative opinions of clusters did not measure anything and should be taken with a grain of salt?  The strongest point made in the SRI task force report is that there is something wrong with using this as an assessment tool.  We need to spend time addressing these issues. 


            Dr. Konz said he too was concerned about the response rate issue.  According to information that Ms. McClellan gave recently, universities that have done this have experienced reductions in the response rate but no significant change in the ratings.  Dr. Konz pointed out that the comments students provide are the most valuable part of the instrument.  He would like the Senate to take positive steps to have response rates as high as possible when we go to this system.   

            Dean Friedenberg said one of the reasons that the new forms emerged and one of the things that people like about it is that it asks students to rate actual faculty behaviors.  Many faculty were uncomfortable with the old form that asked students global statements about characteristics, like faculty knowledge or competence.  

            Dr. Sidelnick said each department is supposed to have a peer evaluation system in place.  There is the opportunity to select the classes that you evaluate.  He agreed with the concern of how it is used as an assessment tool.  He has seen some department chairs take it seriously and others disregard it, depending on whether they are junior or senior faculty.  He does not know how that is controlled. 

            Dr. Heard clarified that FWDC believes there should be an incentive system for students taking the SRI.  But FWDC 4 specifically addresses the Faculty Handbook.  We are assuming an incentive system will be covered by the facilitation of the implementation of the instrument by the Director of Institutional Research.  FWDC determined that the Faculty Handbook is not the place for an incentive system and he was not sure it is the place for an escape clause.  The SRI task force did recommend piloting this, but as a campus we do not seem to be very good at pilots.  Regarding Dr. Konz’s remarks on the importance of the written comments, one reason for going to this system is to allow for longer comments with no chance that the comments get either filtered or miscommunicated.

            Ms. McClellan said that how the instrument is used is a different question than whether it will be electronic or not.  From what she has read, although the response rate may go down, the length and number of comments increased. 

            Ms. Nelms made an observation:  we have a new instrument and will have had it in place for a year, and now we are going to have a new method of administering that instrument.  How are you going to be doing comparative work?   And then we will have a new difficulty in comparing this year and next year because of the difference in response rate.

            Dr. Bell agreed; we have a messy laboratory because we are changing two variables at once. 

            Dr. Boudreaux clarified that many of the issues he raised should not be included in the Faculty Handbook.  Nevertheless, the Senate should consider these issues before we vote on this document.  

            Dr. Sidelnick said the use of this instrument is not a one-time snapshot; it is used across someone’s career, across a five year evaluation plan.  It is a trend, a pattern over time that helps it become more reliable.  How that information is used may vary by department chair.

            Dr. Haas said he was on the SRI task force.  He was interested in moving the written comments to an electronic form so administrative assistants did not have to decipher the comments and read certain words.

The task force was adamant that the faculty controlled this process.  He said Dr. Boudreaux asked a very good question:  What is a reasonable response rate?  Dr. Haas made the following motion: 


The Senate charges FWDC to address these issues regarding Student Ratings of Instruction:


A. The percentage that defines a low response rate.

B. The procedure that an instructor uses to choose the courses that are to be evaluated.

C. An incentive system that encourages students to fill out the electronic evaluations.


FWDC will present this at the first Senate meeting in the 2010/11 academic year.


Dr. Pearson seconded the motion, which passed.

            Dr. Moorhead asked when do faculty decide which courses to evaluate.  He agreed with Ms. Nelms; we are talking about moving forward with this and we have not evaluated the new form.  We need to have these discussions before going online with the evaluation.  Dr. Heard said there is an automatic review of the questions in three years.

            Dr. Larson said the issue of how paper-based versus online evaluations compare was addressed in 13 Strategies to Measure College Teaching.  On structured questions, students tend to rate instructors similarly.  On unstructured (open-ended) questions, the flexible time permitted to on-liners yields longer and more thoughtful comments than those of in-class respondents.    

            Dr. Boudreaux said he was not averse to having on-line evaluations, but the Senate should not consider this document before the details have been worked out.    

FWDC 4 passed by a 12 to 5 vote and became Senate Document 3010S.


            FWDC 5:   Revision to Institutional Review Board (SD0393F, Faculty Handbook 10.4.20)


            UNC Asheville’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) was constituted in 1993, and in the intervening 18 years has not been reviewed.  With an increase in research projects involving human subjects, it has been difficult to promptly complete the review of proposals.  In addition, there have been changes to the Federal guidelines governing Institutional Review Boards (most recent revision July 2009), which alter the requirements for a board to meet and vote on proposals.  This document will reform the Human Subjects Policy to become in line with Federal Regulation Title 45, Part 46, and expand the membership to eight, representing four affiliations.

            A quorum shall be a majority (50%) of the eight members of the IRB, one of whom must have primary concerns in nonscientific areas.   Approval of a project requires the approving vote of the majority (50%) of those members present.  FWDC 5 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3110S.


V.        Institutional Development Committee/University Planning Council Reports

                Ms. Linda Nelms reported for Institutional Development Committee and University Planning Council.

            Institutional Development Committee (IDC)

            Ms. Nelms updated the Senate on IDC’s activities.  Highlights follow:

       With the expectation of a new senior level Institutional Effectiveness person, Dean Friedenberg has taken over the responsibility of writing the report which IDC will review and provide comment.

       The committee is not yet ready to recommend a new committee to oversee institutional effectiveness.

       IDC reviewed the recommendations from the SACS Committee regarding the substantive changes that will be reported to SACS.  It confirmed that the closing of the K-12 Licensure, the closing of the B – K Licensure Program, and the proposed closing of the B. S. in Industrial and Engineering Management meet the SACS definition of substantive change and will be reported.  The SACS Committee will review the percent of the Masters of Liberal Arts students taking classes at the YMI to determine whether that will need to be reported. 

       The IDC concurred with the SACS Committee that the changeover to the ILS approach, while certainly major, did not meet the definition of “substantive” because it did not mark a change in philosophy or direction.  Similarly, the addition of majors in Religious Studies, Health and Wellness, Women’s Studies, International Studies, and the proposed addition of Anthropology as a major are not substantive changes.  The majors grew out of existing minors and do not reflect a change in mission or focus.
University Planning Committee (UPC)

There are no further rescissions planned but there is to be no carry forward.  We are being asked to look at which cuts can be permanent.  The university is being asked to plan for five percent but GA is trying to limit it to two percent.  While the UPC and other areas of the university have spent time identifying and prioritizing capital needs, we cannot expect capital funding next year.

       As part of the on-going review of the efforts of the Strategic Plan Workgroups Patrice Mitchell gave a report focusing on the goals and objectives for Enrollment and Financial Aid.
Fall enrollment is 3,017 which meets the established goal.  The projection is that enrollment will increase to 3,334 in 2014. The Financial Aid picture is less positive.  Average need per student is $7,859 (in‐state per student is $7,797).  The current percent of need being met is 59%. The percent of need met for all with no loans is 57%.  The goal is 61% of need met with grants/scholarships for full-time in-state students.

       A second report came from the Diversity workgroup.  They have inventoried diversity programs and resources.  They have developed a history of diversity efforts at UNC Asheville.  They have reviewed enrollment patterns for those underrepresented groups that are identifiable.   At present, enrollment of underrepresented students is 9.3% .  The goal is 11.3% by 2012.

Ms. Nelms said a very dear friend of the University, Rob Cranford, died unexpectedly.  He served ably as Chair of the Board of Trustees.  All of us who worked with him are going to miss his participation very much.  

VI.      Academic Policies Committee Report

            Dr. Chris Bell reported for the Academic Policies Committee.

            First Reading

            [Unanimously approved by APC]

            The following documents were considered for First Reading:

APC 31: Add new course, LIT 340, Internship

APC 32: Addition of new course, LIT 367, Writers of the Beat Generation

APC 33: Delete PSYC 101 and 102, replacing with PSYC 100; Change to major requirements in PSYC

APC 34: Editorial changes required by deleting PSYC 101 and 102 and replacing them with PSYC 100

APC 35: Delete PSYC 318; Replace with PSYC 319

APC 36: Editorial changes in EDUC required by curriculum changes in PSYC 101/102 and 318

APC 37: Changes to the Middle School Licensure Program

APC 38: Change EDUC 310 to 210; Change EDUC 311 to 211

APC 39: Delete EDUC 396 and 496; Change description and credit hours for EDUC 455; Add new course, EDUC 456

APC 40: Editorial Changes within the Education Department

APC 42: Remove the repeat option for Math 381 

APC 43: Change prerequisites for STAT 220 and STAT 225

APC 44: Add new course, SOC 380, to curriculum

APC 45: Add Minor in Asian Studies

APC 46: Add minimum GPA requirement for minors

APC 47: Update and Clarification of Incomplete Grade Policy

APC 48: Add new course, BIOL 320, Marine Biology 

APC 49: Addition of CHEM 132 as a pre- or corequisite for BIOL 115

APC 50: Create a new course, BIOL 357, Mycology

APC 51: Change course description for BIOL/ENVR 442

APC 52: Change course description for BIOL 110; Change course name and description for BIOL 334; Change course name and description for BIOL 335.

APC 53: Change in the requirements for the Minor in AFST

APC 55: Update In-Progress Grade Policy

APC 61: Addition of new courses: MGMT 362, 364, 465, 482             

APC 62: Addition of an Operations Management Concentration in Management

APC 63: Add New Course Prefixes within MLA Program; Change degree requirements for MLA

[Passed APC 3-2 Vote]

APC 60: Remove the Industrial and Engineering Management Major from the catalog


            Second Reading

            The following documents were considered for Second Reading:

            [Unanimously approved by APC]

            APC 18:  Add option for IP grading in ART 400

            APC 18 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3210S.


            APC 19:  Change studio hour requirement for B.A. in Studio Art

            APC 19 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3310S.


            APC 20:  Delete ART 100 and 103; Add new courses, ART 110 and 111

            APC 20 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3410S.


            APC 21:  Delete ART 101, 102 and 345 renumbering to ART 112, 113 and 114, respectively

            APC 21 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3510S.


            APC 22:  Change Advanced Placement credit for Art

            APC 22 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3610S.


            APC 23:  Allow Studio Art Minor for the B.A. concentration in Art History   

            APC 23 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3710S.


            APC 24:  Change requirement from a comprehensive exam to capstone project for the Minor in Art History

            APC 24 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3810S.


            aPC 25:  Allow ARTH 460: Issues in Art History to be repeated as content varies

            APC 25 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 3910S.


            APC 26:  Add new course, ARTH 302: Internship in Art History

            APC 26 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4010S.


            APC 27:  Add new course, ARTH 484: Senior Research Seminar I

            APC 27 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4110S.


            APC 28:  Change title and description for ARTH 485: Senior Research Seminar to ARTH 485: Senior Research Seminar II

            APC 28 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4210S.


            APC 29:  Change requirement for Art History capstone project to two semesters

            APC 29 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4310S.


            APC 30:  Catalog changes resulting from deletion of ART 100, 101,102, 103 and 345, and addition of ART 110, 111, 112, 113 and 114, respectively

            APC 30 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 4410S.


VII.     Administrative Reports

            Provost Jane Fernandes reported for Academic Affairs. 

            Update on the Craft Campus Initiative

            The Craft Campus Committee has met three times, to re-orient the Craft Campus initiative.  The committee has covered a wide range of issues at the heart of the Craft Campus project, including:

·         A review of the issues that arose to eliminate the Landfill as a viable option for the facility site.

·         An overview of an economic impact study of craft in Western North Carolina, which contributes over $206 million to our region in a wide range of sectors of the economy.

·         A discussion of local and regional drivers for locating a Craft Studies program and facility on our campus, including the growth and excellence of our Art Department; area opportunities in the craft field; a growing number of organizations in the region devoted to craft and craft education; and capital investment in craft in our region.

·         A history of the Architectural Team selection, covering both selection process and design progress.

·         An overview of the curriculum concept for a UNC Asheville Craft Studies Program, with comparisons of programs that exist at Virginia Commonwealth University and Tennessee Tech; UNC Asheville’s central curriculum design ideas; and operating costs and revenue generation opportunities from the program.  This discussion included a review of the Craft Studies mission, undergraduate research opportunities, curriculum, and outreach potential.

·         A discussion of other regional forces for Craft Studies and the craft industry in the South, including Paducah, KY; Louisville, KY; and Chattanooga, TN.

·         A review of the Craft Facility concept, with an outline of the media involved in the project (wood, sculpture, ceramics, glass, metal).

·         A thorough review of all on-campus, and select off-campus, site options for locating the facility.   The committee eliminated the idea of an off-campus location, discussed all campus location options, and resolved on the Owen Hall adjacency as the best of the options presented.  Our next meeting will focus on preliminary issues surrounding a feasibility of this site for the craft facility.


VIII.    Old Business

            There was no Old Business.   


IX.       New Business

            There was no New Business. 


 X.       Adjourn

            Dr. Dohse adjourned the meeting at 4:50pm.


Respectfully submitted by:          Sandra Gravely

                                                                Executive Committee