University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, October 18, 2007



Members:   G. Boudreaux, C. Bell, K. Cole, L. Dohse, B. Hass, J. Hartsfield,     M. Harvey, H. Holt,

                  K. Krumpe, A. Lanou, J. McClain, C. McKenzie, M. Moseley, D. Pierce, B. Sabo,

                  J. Wood; K. Whatley. 


Excused:        P. Downes, B. Wilson.


Visitors:      G. Ashburn, J. Cone, B. Haggard, A. Lange, B. Larson, J. McKnight, D. Miles, G. Nallan. 



I.        Call to Order, Introductions and Announcements

          Dr. Sabo called the meeting to order at 3:20 pm and welcomed Senators and guests.  Dr. Downes is attending a conference. 


II.       Approval of Minutes 

          The minutes of September 13, 2007, were approved with editorial corrections.


III.      Executive Committee Report

          The Executive Committee Report was delayed until later in the meeting.

          Faculty Assembly Report 

          Dr. Gary Nallan reported:

·         Last year the sixteen university campuses were surveyed about faculty participation in the evaluation of the Chancellor, Provost, Vice-Chancellors, Deans and Department Chairs.  At most schools, faculty are involved in the evaluation of Department Chairs and Deans.  At about half the schools, faculty are involved in the evaluation of the Chancellor and Provost.  Contact Dr. Nallan for additional data from the survey. 

·         The General Assembly and the Faculty Assembly expect that all campuses will involve faculty in the evaluation of administrators.

·         Last year the sixteen campuses were surveyed about the extension of benefits to domestic partners.  At a big university such as Chapel Hill, it is possible to extend health insurance benefits to domestic partners, and Chapel Hill does so.  President Bowles said that in every business he has ever run, benefits were extended to domestic partners, and he believes not doing so is discrimination.  He understands though, that small campuses will struggle with the financial implications. 

·         This year the sixteen university campuses will be surveyed about day care for children of staff and faculty.  The Faculty Assembly may propose a resolution about campuses providing day care.


          Dr. Amy Lanou asked what the next step would be to extend benefits to domestic partners at UNCA.  Dr. Nallan said that President Bowles’ first concern is getting staff and faculty salaries to where they should be.  At this time the campuses would have to figure out a financial way to extend benefits.  Dr. Ashburn added that GA is currently surveying each campus.  President Bowles said that because the state is not supporting domestic partner benefits, only the campuses that could afford to make that part of their own campus benefits could do so.  He supports extended benefits but doubted that it would get through the legislature for the university system.   

          Dr. Nallan related an anecdote that President Bowles told from traveling around the state for UNC Tomorrow.  During one of the general comment sessions a fellow raised his hand and said, “I really object to the mission of UNC Asheville.  I would never want to send my children to a place where they have to hang out with liberals and artists.”  Later, when people were asked specifically what they would want their children to get from an education, the same person said, “Knowledge of a foreign language, a good sense of history, theatre and music, and critical thinking skills.”

          Dr. Gwen Ashburn’s report follows: 

  • The 603/604 Code Committee report was given by Provost Neilson from NC State with assistance from Charles Waldrup (attorney with GA’s office of legal counsel). 
    • Provost Neilson said their charge was to streamline the process, particularly on hearings involving faculty. 
    • The Board had been concerned about evidentiary standards and recommended that the wording be “preponderance of evidence” – the Faculty Assembly disagrees and believes that the “clear and convincing evidence” standard is more appropriate. 
    • Provost Neilson said the committee recommended a fourth basis for discharge, “unsatisfactory performance.”  The Faculty Assembly said that was not acceptable because tying Post Tenure Review to any kind of disciplinary action was against what all felt was the purpose.  PTR was designed to be a developmental review and should not be tied to any punitive action.  If someone is found to be lacking, PTT charges the university to give them help and to make sure they perform their responsibilities better. 
    • The language regarding Special Faculty was dismissive, but the Faculty Assembly believed language changes should take care of the problem. 
  • Harold Martin, VP for Academic Affairs, reported on the UNC Tomorrow study.  No new degree programs will be approved until the study is finished. 
  • There was a presentation on sustainability.  President Bowles encouraged us to spend our funding wisely.  
  • President Bowles was asked to speak on budgets, UNC Tomorrow, and chancellor raises. 
    • The economy had been good this year and the legislature treated the University system well.  We received full funding for both enrollment growth and need-based financial aid for NC residents.  The current financial aid structure is helpful to families who fall below 150% of poverty level and least helpful for those in the middle income bracket ($50K-$100K.) 
      • He was asked about the possibility of receiving relief by allowing our children to go to a UNC school without paying tuition.  Many private schools use this as a recruiting aid.  He said not yet, but it had been mentioned a number of times. 
    • He is proud of the fact that there has been improvement in faculty salaries and that we are moving closer to his goal of 80% of our peer institutions’ salaries.  It is not an ideal measurement but it gives us a goal to strive for. 
    • We have to have minimum standards (700 SAT and 2.5 GPA) to get money for preadmission summer programs.  A number of schools fall below this standard and the retention rate is particularly low at historically minority schools.  It is costly to the state to take students in and lose them.  Summer preadmission seminars could better prepare students.  Money was given for on-line education programming and for the first time in years, schools received graduate tuition remission.  More than $1 billion was allocated for new facilities.     
    • President Bowles said he would not apologize for chancellors’ raises.  He would not be able to replace James Moser at Chapel Hill for what Dr. Moser was making now.  Chancellors in the university system were always being asked to go elsewhere.  He wants to raise both faculty and chancellor salaries to 80% of peers.    
    • He talked about UNC Tomorrow.  While continuing to listen, we also need to make our constituents more aware of what the liberal arts really mean.  He hears repeatedly that we need people who can think creatively, write well, and be life learners – things we do well.  He also said we need more nurses, math and science teachers, and we would like our campuses to think about regional needs.
  • Rob Nelson, VP for Budget and Financing, reported that this is a continuation legislative year.  Although a new budget does not go in, we can ask for funding and campuses are being asked to send in tuition and fee proposals.  No institution can request more than a six-percent increase. 
    • Textbooks continue to be an issue.  GA wants to assure students and parents that faculty are concerned about textbooks costs and are collaborating on a buyback program.  GA will pilot rental programs for very large core undergraduate classes but is not demanding that there be rental programs everywhere.
  • The Resolution passed by the Faculty Assembly has been sent to all campuses, asking that the Faculty Assembly’s code of changes be further discussed and not carried to the BOG until the Faculty Assembly has had a chance to discuss and rephrase their changes.  The Assembly hopes to hear from all Senates by October 31st (before their November 16th meeting).   


At Dr. Sabo’s request, Dr. Wood took over as Chair of the meeting. 

Dr. Sabo agreed that the Senate should do something about the Code changes.  Senators received the Faculty Assembly resolution and a Chapel Hill resolution endorsing it.  Dr. Sabo made a motion that the UNCA Faculty Senate endorse the Faculty Assembly resolution.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Moseley and passed.  Dr. Sabo then moved a Sense of the Senate Resolution:


“The Faculty Senate of the University of North Carolina Asheville endorses the alternate language proposed by the Executive Committee of the UNC Faculty Assembly and endorsed by the Faculty Assembly at its September 28, 2007, meeting regarding changes to the Code of the Board of Governors, Section 603/604.”


The motion was seconded by Dr. Moseley.  The Sense of the Senate passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0407F. 


Dr. Sabo returned to the position of Chair.


IV.     Administrative Report

          General Administration General Education Study

          Dr. Whatley reported on a community college proposal to standardize general education across the state.  We would be required to accept courses for which students had made a C- or above (the current regulation is C or above.)  Also, any course taken at a UNC school would automatically transfer to another UNC school, either as a requirement or elective credit.  Any course taken for a general education requirement at a UNC school would automatically transfer to a general education requirement at another UNC school.  These changes are not in our best interest.  A subgroup volunteered to meet and Ms. McClellan stood in for Dr. Whatley on a telephone conference call. 

          Harold Martin, VP for Academic Affairs, is opposed to at least two of these initiatives and was going to take an argument back to the community college system saying they could not dictate that we accept courses in which a student had made a C-.  Dr. Martin is going to explain to the community college association again that if students take the 44 hour core and receive an A.S. or A.A. degree from a community college, then the UNC schools consider them to have completed a whole general education curriculum.  However there is not a one-to-one correspondence between the general education courses that are taken at a community college (or any other UNC school) and the general education requirements taken at any other UNC school, including UNCA.  The courses and transcripts will be evaluated on an individual basis.  There are ongoing discussions about the transfer of credits from one UNC school directly to another. 

          Dr. Pierce expressed concern over our transfer policy and encouraged Dr. Whatley to take a close look at communication from Admissions to the Registrar to Academic Departments.  He is of the mind right now where he would not advise a student to transfer to this institution unless they came in with an associate degree.  Dr. Whatley acknowledged the problem.  They were working on a lot of issues in Admissions.  We get multiple transfer students from particular institutions and many of them have had a certain course.  We are working to make a list of those courses and what they transfer in as; they plan to post these on the web.  We also trying, particularly with AB Tech, to place one of our advisors or transcript evaluators on their campus during key periods in the academic year so that course evaluations can be done officially and students will know which courses will transfer and which courses won’t.  We are trying to solve the problem by getting the transcripts evaluated very soon after the students are accepted. 

          Delivering the Curriculum/Faculty Work

          Dr. Sam Schuman has set up a study group of Chairs and Program Directors to look at delivering the curriculum and faculty workload.  They are:  Dave Peifer, Betsy Wilson, Robert Dunning, Gwen Ashburn and Alan Hantz.  Dr. Hantz has agreed to serve as convener.  In addition, Tracy Brown has done some impressive research related to this topic, and can be a consultant to the study group. 

          Comments on Draft 2010-11 Calendar and Guidelines

          Senators were asked to comment on the draft 2010-2011 calendar and guidelines distributed at the last meeting.  Following a brief discussion, Dr. Whatley asked for an indication of acceptance of the calendar.  Dr. Sabo said the lack of comments suggested acceptance of the calendar. 

          UNC Tomorrow

          Dr. Whatley encouraged faculty to participate in the UNC Tomorrow faculty listening forum on Monday, November 5th from 10-11:30pm in Alumni Hall.  The forum has been set up as a direct result of feedback from the Faculty Assembly to President Bowles and it has an open agenda.  This is our chance to talk directly to the President of the system and probably the Chair of the Board of Governors and faculty from the Scholars Council.   

          Dean of Admission

          The search for the dean of Admission is still unresolved.  Two excellent candidates came to campus; the position was offered to one who decided to remain where he is.  The second candidate was not as good a fit as we would like to have.  We will reopen the search next spring at a time that is more likely to generate additional applications.  Dr. Sabo encouraged Dr. Whatley to send an email to the campus community.   


V.      Reports from Campus Organizations:

          Chancellors Staff Advisory Committee report from JoAnne McKnight

·         Employee Appreciation Week.  CSAC is partnering with the Chancellor’s office to provide a Community Breakfast at the end of Professional Development week on February 22, 2008.  J.C. Boykin, Chair of the UNC Staff Assembly, will speak on how times have changed and how to facilitate a better work environment. 

·         At the Chancellor’s suggestion, CSAC is reading Building Trust in the Work Place.  Supervisors are also encouraged to read it.   

·         The Chair’s Committee of the Staff Assembly is conducting research to determine how to best articulate and substantiate a request for partial scholarship support for resident children, spouses and partners of staff and family to attend school in the UNC system.  The committee will also seek to quantify what staff turn-over now costs the system, in terms of training and other factors. 

          Athletic Director

          Dr. Herman Holt introduced Athletic Director Janet Cone, who was recently named as Division I-AAA Athletic Administrator of the Year by the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletic Administrators.  Ms. Cone will be recognized by the NACWAA at its Honors Awards Dinner in St. Petersburg, FL on October 8.  These prestigious annual awards are given to NACWAA members who demonstrate administrative excellence and make significant contributions to intercollegiate athletics.  A round of applause followed.

          Ms. Cone’s reported on: 

·         Sportsmanship Sunday and Other Community Service Projects

Big South Conference Ethical Conduct Policy

Student-Athlete Handbook

Student-Athletes Dinner with the Athletics Director

AD’s 3.0+ Club

·         Fall Sports Schedules and Big South Conference Preseason Polls and Honors

The Men’s and Women’s Cross Country teams will be hosting the Big South Conference Cross Country Championships at Jackson Park in Hendersonville on October 27th.  They were picked to finish 7th and 4th respectively.  Men’s Soccer was picked to finish 5th and Women’s Soccer was picked to finish 4th in the Big South Conference Preseason Poll.  Volleyball had two players make the Big South Conference Preseason All-Conference Team, Raquel Miotto and Lauren Ficker.  The team was picked to finish in 3rd place.  Men’s Basketball was picked to finish 5th in the Big South Conference Preseason Poll, and Women’s Basketball was picked to finish 3rd.  Ashton Barton was named to the Big South Conference Preseason All-Conference Team.

·         She distributed copies of UNC Asheville Athletics…Champions in Athletics, Leaders in Life


·         NCAA APR and Graduation Success Reports

·         Budget Update

·         Fall Special Events for Athletics

Baseball Alumni & Friends Golf Tournament                                        

Bulldogs, BBQ, & Bluegrass Annual Scholarship Auction                     

Jammin@ the Justice Center                                                              

Big South Cross Country Championships hosted by UNC Asheville      


          Dr. Pierce asked what impact the bill passed by the legislature had which allows campuses to offer in-state tuition if full athletic scholarships are offered.  Ms. Cone said this has had a major impact:  This year we have 52 student athletes on full scholarships, almost double the number of students who can go on a full scholarship without spending more money.  It was also beneficial to our women’s sports.  The university also benefits when those students become in-state because the university receives money for them as in-state students.   

          Center for Diversity Education

          Ms. Deborah Miles reported that the Center for Diversity Education (CDE) works to increase the ways diversity is covered in the daily life of the classroom in grades K-12 and higher education.  The CDE is a non-profit organization located on UNCA’s campus.  Through an agreement between the CDE Board of Directors and the UNCA Board of Trustees, the Executive Director allocates a portion of her time to UNCA specific projects. 

          Chancellor Ponder has initiated an effort to change CDE’s status from being located “at” the University to one where the Center is “a part of” the University.  Currently, a committee from each organization is being formed to explore how, when, and where that might come to pass.

          She listed some Recent and Current Projects

·         “Anne Frank: A History for Today”

·         Research with students on Bullies/Victims/Bystandarders/Advocates

·         Bill of Rights Display

·         Performance of Brown vs. Board of Education with Mike Wiley

·         A student undergraduate research project on “WNC in the World” – preparing students for the 21st century work world. 

·         State of Black Asheville

·         Cultivating relationships with Stephens Lee High School Alumni and other historically black high school alumni associations in NC

·         Work with the Education Department on developing and enhancing cultural sensitivity.

          Future Projects     

·         Student Undergraduate Research on:

o        People with disabilities in the WNC region – for an exhibit in 2008

o        The impact of emancipation proclamation on Asheville and Hendersonville

          Student Government Association

          Tristyn Card reported for the Student Government Association on the following:

·         Voter Drive

·         SGA Website

·         Daycare/ Saturday Morning Childcare

·         Input on Mandatory Insurance for Students

·         Greenfest

          New Student Environmental Center

          Anna Lange distributed the Student Environmental Center Newsletter prior to the meeting.  She was unable to stay and give her report.  The newsletter indicates the center is a student led initiative dedicated to increasing campus awareness of environmental issues and improving the environmental performance of our University. 

          The SEC is funded by the recently approved green fee which pays for new technology, creating visual displays in our green campus buildings and developing campaigns to increase students’ engagement in environmentally responsible behaviors such as recycling, use of alternative transportation, and energy and resource conservation. 

          Current projects of the SEC include working with faculty to integrate sustainability issues into freshman colloquia courses, developing signage to improve recycling on our campus and working with Alumni and Development to pursue outside funding for renewable energy projects. 

          Student interns are also working with the student group Active Students for a Healthy Environment (ASHE) to plan a regional discussion on climate change that will take place in January and will feature a number of distinguished campus and community leaders coming engaging in a dialogue about mitigating climate change. 

          The SEC reports directly to the Student Affairs Division as a student-run entity similar to Underdog Productions or Student Government. 


VI.     Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report

          Dr. Greg Boudreaux reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

          Second Reading:

          FWDC 1:  Proposal to establish Student Affairs Faculty Advisory Committee

          FWDC 1 passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0507F. 


          Administrative Office Survey

          The Administrative Office Survey will be distributed in November.  Senators were asked to review the survey cover letter and send comments/suggestions to Dr. Boudreaux.  Dr. Harvey suggested asking people to give good feedback and to not use the survey as an outlet for airing unproductive gripes.  

          Dr. Boudreaux explained changes to the survey.  In the previous surveys each office had two questions and one open-ended comment section: 1) performance of functions, and 2) responsiveness of office.  Consultant Ephraim Schechter suggested asking one question:  “Are you satisfied with the offices’ functioning?  If you have particular issues with this office or praise, please tell us about it.”  This would cut down on the number of questions and provide the same information. 

          The last survey was done in 2000.  The goal is to tweak it this year and in the future improve it to provide better information.  The first priority of the committee was to gather data points.  Dr. Gravely can guarantee anonymity but this will not permit tracking non-respondents. 

          Dr. Krumpe questioned the need for anonymity because standing behind comments limits unproductive griping.  Dr. Moseley said that might be true, but many people – staff and untenured faculty – do not feel comfortable criticizing supervisors and they fear retribution.  Dr. Krumpe suggested we may need to set aside the effectiveness of institutional offices.  If we cannot speak honestly with each other without fear of retribution, that says volumes about this institution. 

          Dr. Sabo said that is part of what this survey will address.  Dr. Moseley said some of that fear may not be justified but it may exist nonetheless.  Dr. Whatley pointed out that the campus has done this survey before and it has always been anonymous.  In the past we have not gotten a lot of extraneous comments. 

          Dr. Cole suggested including a section that would capture peoples’ impressions of where communication breakdowns are occurring between offices.  Dr. Sabo said that in the meetings on the survey’s design, many opted for the quick fix – a general picture – as opposed to a substantive evaluation.  Clearly that is the guideline that FWDC is using – let’s get some information quick, and then proceed to refine it. 

          Dr. Haas suggested surveying 20% of the offices each year.  Dr. Sabo said he made the same suggestion and it was voted down.  Dr. Harvey agreed it was a good idea; however you have to understand this has been a result of negotiating with senior administration.  FWDC negotiated in good faith and we are going to get some good information.  We are not going to evaluate specific personnel – which we wanted to do; maybe next year.  Dr. Moseley argued that evaluating 20% of the offices piecemeal would take years to complete.  This process will tell us which offices finish in the bottom 30% and we will look at them in more detail to find out how they can improve. 

          Dr. Pierce suggested an email asking for everyone’s response once they complete the survey.

          Dr. Larson asked who the “we” in the cover letter referred to.  Dr. Boudreaux said that the Faculty Senate is conducting the survey; Institutional Research will do the work. 

          Merit System

          FWDC has created a virtual merit system forum; transcripts and notes from the two actual forums can be found there as well as some comments from the UNCA faculty.  Dr. Boudreaux has not received any comments since the virtual forum was announced.  FWDC is gathering other merit system models to propose – the first proposed models were on the extreme ends of the merit spectrum.  Dr. Schuman is encouraging all departments to speak about this at their departmental meetings and forward their suggestions to FWDC for posting to the virtual forum.  Dr. Sabo added that Dr. Schuman is convinced that this is and must be a faculty decision.   


VII.    Institutional Development Committee/University Planning Council Reports

          Dr. John Wood reported for the Institutional Development Committee and University Planning Council. 

     Masters Programs

          In 2005-06, IDC discussed masters programs and decided to wait until the strategic planning process ran its course.  UPC has now inherited the strategic plan and is moving on that front. 

          At this last meeting IDC started gathering information regarding people’s thinking about masters programs.  They learned about Bill Spellman’s suggestions to revive the MLA (master of liberal arts) in which we have an historical investment, and from Sandra Byrd, Director of the Asheville Graduate Center. 

          Dr. Spellman has a three year plan with ambitious goals:


  • 65 students involved in MLA
  • a minimum of 50 students taking at least one class per semester
  • four seminars per semester with 12-15 students each
  • two seminars per summer
  • a commitment on the part of the university to have a director and an associate director (in the humanities program model).
  • a commitment to have adjuncts or lecturers to staff these classes .  One of the frustrations for MLA students has been a lack of classes.  This will guarantee a certain number of classes per year. 
  • the inclusion of three concentrations as a possible track – not insisting on concentrations in the MLA but three concentrations possible.  Those concentrations would be: creative writing; globalization; science and human values.  There would be clusters within the masters programs. 

          IDC heard from Sandra Byrd of the Asheville Graduate Center which UNCA took over in 2005.  The Asheville Graduate Center (AGC) is now offering 30 different types of graduate degrees on this campus, from six universities including our own MLA.  Dr. Byrd is also responding to some agitation from the BOT, from GA, and from leaders in the community to offer some graduate programs on campus.  On the other hand we have a clear signal from the strategic planning process that we are an undergraduate institution with certain types of undergraduate goals, aspirations and identity.   

          The university has recently received an $80K grant from GA to study the feasibility of a masters degree in Climate and Society in conjunction with NC State to be delivered on our campus.  This has come out of a number of conversations Dr. Byrd has been having with climatic data people in the community and leaders who feel it would be popular and desirable for us to have.  Dr. Byrd is also talking about offering an MAT (masters of arts and teaching). 

          IDC wanted to be aware of what people were working on now before it revisited the criteria that IDC recommended on April 13, 2006.  They have collected information and hope to bring some recommendations to the Senate regarding what the faculty position is on masters program and to clarify this issue. 

          University Planning Council (UPC) Report 

          - Strategic Plan

          UPC met with the conveners and think tank people and received the strategic plan from them.  UPC is now deliberating to prioritize the goals outlined in the strategic plan.

          - Diversity

          UPC is reviewing the report from the consultants on diversity.  It has elected to start delegating to get some action on the top six (out of 12) recommendations.   

          The Chancellor is creating a Diversity Action Council.  There are a lot of people talking about diversity on campus but are not in a position to do anything about it.  The Diversity Action Council (DAC) would include 12-14 people, able to make and coordinate decisions.  This Council would be accountable for answering the questions: “What is diversity?  What are the goals?  How are we doing on this?”  The DAC will report to UPC and senior staff.  The UPC will then report to the faculty. 


Dr. Amy Lanou asked how the Diversity Action Council was being populated.  Dr. Wood said those discussions are in process right now.  It is a large body and that is a big concern.  Dr. Wood will report on the membership when it is finalized.


VIII.   Academic Policies Committee Report 

          The Academic Policies Committee did not have a report.


IX.     Old Business

          Student Rating of Instruction

          Dr. Bill Haas served on the Student Rating of Instruction Task Force and has agreed to review the April 2006 Final Report from the task force.  The report is available at:  2006 Final Report from the Student Rating Task Force.  The group plans to move part A of the conclusions and recommendations into actionable proposals that will be forwarded to FWDC for consideration which include: 

  • When should student evaluations be given?  How many students make up a class that should be evaluated? 
  • On the issue of the numeric or quantitative form, the group will recommend to FWDC that we use experimental form #1 as it is a better touchstone of what we want to do.
  • Part D of the recommendations dealt with the summative aspect; that is, how the administration uses the data in terms of Post Tenure Review, promotion and tenure, and merit.  They are working with Dr. Schuman and hope to have something that can be put into an actionable proposal for the Senate and hopefully charge the administration with offering a policy for the Senate to review. 


          Dr. Boudreaux noted that we have been given a charge to redefine our merit system to consider the student rating of instruction. 

          Provost Search

          Dr. Bruce Larson, Co-Chair of the Provost Search Committee, gave an update on the search.  The search committee believes they have an outstanding, impressive and appropriate group of people they are talking with and Dr. Larson hopes the faculty will agree with the search committee, when the candidates come to campus in November.  They are talking to nine candidates away from campus.


III.      Executive Committee Report

          Dr. Sabo reported that the Executive Committee was asked to recommend two faculty members to sit on committees that deal with student fees and tuition.  Dr. Downes told the administration that this is the third year that faculty have been asked to serve at the last minute – the process needs to be formalized.  Michael Gillum and Linda Cornett have agreed to sit on the Student Fees Committee on a temporary basis.

          Dr. Whatley said that we still have a 6.5% cap on student fees.  However, because we received additional money for faculty salaries, our cap for tuition increase for this year is quite small – 1.4% (about $30,000.)  While there is a committee being formed to look at how that should be allocated, it is such a small amount of money the Chancellor may make a recommendation and ask the committee to approve it.  One-quarter has to go toward the faculty salary pool and one-quarter is required to go toward hold-harmless financial aid for students.  


  X.    New Business 

          Transportation Report

          Dr. Chris Bell reported that the Transportation Committee unanimously recommended changing the student parking fee structure by reducing the student parking fee (assessed to all students) from $70 to $30.  Students who register cars on campus will be assessed an additional $70 fee.

          There is insufficient parking on campus now – there will be 200 fewer spaces next year when construction begins on the Health and Wellness Center. 


XI.     Adjourn

          Dr. Sabo adjourned the meeting at 5:35pm. 


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Executive Committee