University of North Carolina at Asheville


Minutes, September 13, 2007



Members:   G. Boudreaux, C. Bell, K. Cole, L. Dohse, P. Downes, B. Hass, J. Hartsfield,

                  M. Harvey, H. Holt, K. Krumpe, A. Lanou, J. McClain, C. McKenzie, M. Moseley,

                  B. Sabo, B. Wilson, J. Wood. 


Excused:        M. Burchard.


Visitors:      B. Haggard, E. Katz, G. Kormanik, B. Larson, P. McClellan, J. McKnight, G. Nallan, A. Ponder,

                  A. Shope.



I.        Call to Order, Introductions and Announcements

          Dr. Peg Downes called the meeting to order at 3:20 pm and welcomed Senators and guests.   She announced two mottoes she will abide by this year:  one (suggested years ago by Mike Stuart) was simple:  “Is it good for the students?”  The second is: “This is our team!” It is a good team and we can play well. 


II.       Remarks from Chancellor Anne Ponder 

·         Thank you to everyone across the university for a remarkable and wonderful opening of the academic year.  She appreciates the opportunity to work with Peg Downes, and with John Wood on the University Planning Council (UPC).  The UPC is an opportunity full of promise for the university.

·         Good news: 

o        The first of the C. D. Spangler professorships has been approved.  It is the Cary Caperton Owen Distinguished Professorship in Economics.  It is named in honor of Cary Caperton Owen of Asheville, someone of special interest to UNC President Emeritus C.D. Spangler.  President Spangler served with her when she was on the Board of Governors and also with her on the State Board of Education.  Cary Owen was a Phi Beta Kappa Economics major at UNC Chapel and she was one of the first women to major in that field.  This is the first of six; a match was not permitted by President Spangler but a match is invited and permissible for the others and we have already secured a match for next year.  So, instead of having a $500K chair, we will have a $1M endowed chair next year. 

·         Updates: 

o        Along with the people hired by the General Administration (GA) she and our campus experts have been thinking about security issues in the post-Virginia Tech era.  GA has not yet identified what themes or directives or opportunities there will be for campuses to be safe and secure.  She has asked Vice Chancellor Bill Haggard to assume responsibility of supervising campus police.  She hopes that linking those who attend to campus safety and student well-being outside the classroom will balance the concern for personal liberty and the need to make sure that the community is as safe as possible.  Campus police will report directly to Dr. Haggard.  Pat Hunt and Steve Baxley and others are pleased to help make that transition which will take place between fall and spring semesters. 

o        Last Friday at the Board of Governor’s meeting, Erskine Bowles praised UNCA for our remarkable strides in having a more diverse university.  Specifically:

§         Overall we have 16.9 percent more non-white students compared to Fall 2006. 

§         The diversity of our student body has increased from 7.1 percent to 8.2 percent.  (The diversity of the entering class has increased from 6.2 percent to 10.8 percent.) 

§         President Bowles announced this data in front of the BOG and said this does not happen by accident – a university and its chancellor made this is priority. 

§         Instead of being a university which has struggled and made little progress – we now work forward from the ground of a university that is making progress – and that will make it easier for us to be successful. 


III.      Administrative Report

          Student Affairs Annual Report 

          Vice Chancellor Bill Haggard gave Student Affairs’ annual report.  The report includes: Priorities for 2007-08, Budget and Diversity Initiatives 2006-07 & 2007-2008; Student Affairs' Annual Report

          Dr. Haggard addressed questions:

  • How has our protocol changed in response to student emergencies? 
    • The “Care in Crises” team meets every Monday morning and the group now has a written protocol for emergency response.  We found in practice that we were having communication breakdowns in a variety of areas.  This has improved through additional training and replacing pagers with cell phones.  The Counselor on call and the Resident Community Director on call both have cell phones.  They have also enhanced the importance of crises community with the student staff in the residence halls.  The Dean of Students is the triage person 24-hours a day/365 days a year and Calvin Kelly is the backup person.  Dr. Haggard is the second backup person.   
  • How much are you spending on professional development and on what?
    • Professional development is focused mainly on things we do on campus.  Approximately 20 events were held throughout the year to keep staff current and to address particular issues.  About $6700 was spent last year on audio conferences, guest speakers, and appreciation events for housekeepers and administrative assistants who provide important frontline work with our students. 
  • What is a Residence Education Curriculum and why do we need one?
    • A Residence Education Curriculum is intentional education with specific learning outcomes.  RA’s traditionally discuss topics on alcohol and drug use, time management, sexually transmitted diseases and a host of other issues.  The administration wants a curriculum on intentional topics with specific outcomes that they will assess and measured.  This is not just good practice – we will need to show these outcomes during our next SACS review.   
  • Will the plan for what is needed in student facilities include planning for Highsmith Union usage? 
    • We need to develop a plan in the area of health and counseling; Weisenblatt is an inadequate facility for what our students need.  We began the semester with over-occupancy in the residence halls and we probably could have filled 200 more beds.  We need to look at our needs and what we want to do with on-campus residence halls. 
    • We use a traditional student approach regarding usage of Highsmith Union where we have a Student Union Board.  The administration of the student union runs the usage issues before the union board which makes recommendations but ultimately those decisions are an administrative decision.  The use of the building will not be a part of that particular plan. 
  • Budget questions:  The current cap on fee increases is 6.5 percent.  Does that mean per year?  How are student activity fees allocated?  What panel does that?  Is there a strong student presence on the panel? Is there appropriate flexibility year to year?  Do we allocate funds as interests shift?  Are we following best practice models for such allocations?  
    • Yes, we have a 6.5% annual fee increase that is a cap for all of our fees. 
    • Last fall we had a student fee proposal process and a local tuition proposal process.  Two student members sat on the Tuition & Fees Committee (TFC).  There was an open student forum where the proposals were presented.  Afterward, the SGA had an opportunity to present its proposal to the Tuition & Fees committee; the students recommended higher fees than the administration proposed.  The proposal was closely considered by the committee and the students were successful in their efforts.  Students also proposed a $9.50 per student per year “green fee” for environmental issues. 
    • Student Advisory Boards were created for all primary functional areas that use student fees money.  It is his expectation that the directors in Student Affairs maintain regular communication with the Student Advisory Boards and communicate the reason for fee increases and how the budgets work; that is another way students become involved. 
    • Nearly half of student fees go toward the operation of Highsmith Union.  Highsmith is totally operated by student fees (maintenance, upkeep, utilities, repairs, renovations and staff salaries.)  Staff salary increases in the fees-supported areas do not come from the state. 
    • Another large recipient of student fees is the operation of Campus Recreation.  
  • How can faculty support Student Affairs’ efforts in Diversity?
    • Dr. Calvin Kelly is working to develop a mentoring program for students from under-represented populations.  They will be seeking more volunteers.   
    • Periodic “Soul Food Sundays” where faculty invite under-represented populations to their homes – has being renamed “Food for Thought” to be more inclusive.  There are more opportunities for faculty to be involved in this. 
    • We have tremendous faculty involvement in advising our student organizations that serve under-represented populations.  HOLA’s (Hispanic Outreach for Learning Awareness) tremendous success is a credit to their faculty advisors. 
  • Are we moving toward mandatory health insurance for students?
    • Approximately 10 campuses in the system have moved to mandatory/hard waiver student health insurance.  Students may waive out of the requirement if they can show proof of health insurance.  UNCA has been studying this for the past year and have held student focus groups.  We will be seeking action from the Trustees at their December meeting.  We recommend requiring health insurance of all FULL-TIME students.  A consortium of NC institutions use Pierce & Pierce; the premium is $600 a year ($300 per semester).  This is not without controversy because we have students who are working their way through college supporting themselves.  This cost would be a real burden.   
  • Referring to the response to what happened at VATech, have you discussed what we do in a situation where there are faculty members who understand there is a problem?
    • There is a great misunderstanding of the privacy laws in this country.  There are no privacy laws that get in the way of taking appropriate care of students because there are already health and safety exceptions to the privacy laws.  In practice, it is how you make the judgment calls.  We are currently involved in good practice with the Care in Crises team.  We already had an interdisciplinary team in place that does threat assessment and does communicate.  The Health and Counseling Center will visit academic departments this year to assist faculty in identifying behaviors, statements and other concerns that should be referred and a phone call made. 
  • Dr. Haggard distributed the Student Code of Community Standards written by a committee that included Ted Meigs and Keith Krumpe.  The author of the Model Code visited campus and worked with the committee for a couple of days.  The Student Code is one thing, but how we practice it is more important.  Using the Citizenship Education model, we treat behavior, not was a violation of policy, but as behavior in relation to the community and the impact the behavior has on the community.  Jackie McHargue (Dean of Students) and Peter Caulfield (Faculty Conciliator) will coordinate their activities.
  • Are the Diversity initiatives listed in the report coordinated with other departments / agencies or are they ad hoc initiatives within Student Affairs? 
    • It is both; some were partnerships where Student Affairs was a contributing partner; others were Student Affairs initiatives.  For instance, on “A Day On, Not a Day Off” the mayor helped us make the contact with the Housing Authority and was very supportive.  We undertook more of this project because Merritt Moseley was taking a group to Atlanta the same weekend.  We worked together with Academic Affairs and Advising on the SOAR program.  And we provided support to the “State of Black Asheville” event. 
  • Dr. Haggard received feedback on improving future reports for SACS and Senators. 
  • Do you anticipate major personnel changes this year?
    • No, he did not. 
  • Regarding the Academic Dishonesty Policy, is there a group that faculty are supposed to report student violations to?
    • The committee has extended its work for another year to consider a communication mechanism to identify multiple offenders – not only those acting out in the residence halls but also those engaging in dishonest work in the classroom.  There is no intent to take away the faculty’s authority over academic misconduct in their classroom.    
    • Pat McClellan said the current process is to report incidents to her.  She maintains the information in a file.  Any faculty member who has a situation where they take some kind of action (even giving a student a zero on a test) are supposed to report it; not because we are checking up on faculty, but if a student has done this is several classes it is significant.    


          Ms. Pat McClellan and Dr. Ed Katz gave the Administrative Report in Dr. Whatley’s absence.

          Calendars (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11)

          Ms. McClellan distributed three calendars approved by the Faculty Senate and Senior Staff (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10) and a draft calendar for 2010-11.  The administration would like to receive comments from the Faculty Senate before taking it to Senior Staff for final approval. 



          Guidelines for calendar decisions follow:  (includes an editorial change made by Senate)

·         Start the Fall semester on a Tuesday.  This gives all students a chance to “take care of business” on a workday, without requiring staff to come in on a weekend.  Returning students can come in on Monday, and are not required to come in on Sunday.  MWF and TR classes will each have two meeting times in the first week.  Humanities classes can meet in smaller sections before the large lectures.

·         Start the Spring semester on the Wednesday before the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.  This seems to be the best balance between the desire for as many full weeks as possible and the need to allow various offices on campus to process information between semesters.

·         Schedule as many full weeks in the semester as possible.

·         When possible, split the exam week with a weekend.  The students prefer a break in exam week.

·         Allow the scheduling of final exams to be informed by the enrollments in courses.  When possible schedule exams for heavily enrolled periods which enroll a majority of seniors earlier in exam week. 


          Ms. McClellan distributed a preliminary Fall Enrollment Report:  FTE is up approximately 40 over last year at this time and the freshman class is approximately the same.  The diversity figures are encouraging.  Admissions is going into three cities they have not visited in the past to reach out to more diverse populations that are not from the larger urban areas. 

  • Are we allowed to include our visiting students in our diversity figures?
    • They are not part of our official headcount in how we receive funding.  If they pay us and enroll as private students they are counted.  If they are part of the exchange model that we belong to they are not counted.
  • Is diversity defined as ethnic-based or is it in a broader sense: class matters -- parents who never attended college, or from a socio-economic disadvantaged group? 
    • Many of the terms used to describe various minority groups are phrased by General Administration.  How we collect those demographics will change over the next few years; as the government changes terms, GA will follow in government’s path.   
  • Do you have any theories about our yield?  Last year we accepted 142 more students than the previous year for a net gain of three; and there is a slight decline in the SATs.  
    • She was surprised at the number of students that we were expecting who did not come or withdrew in August.  She expected about 50 more students.  This is following a national trend where some students double or triple-deposited. 


·         Debbie Race has accepted the position as University Registrar.

·         The Dean of Admission search is nearing its final days.     


·         All divisions were allocated approximately 90% of their last year’s expenditure budget figures with the anticipation (not guarantee) that in January departments in need of additional monies will be able to get those monies. 

          Spangler Professorships

          Dr. Ed Katz reported on the Spangler Endowed Professorships:

  • There will be a total of six professorships, endowed by former president Spangler, the state of NC, and private funds which we will raise.  Members of Position Allocation Committee met with the Senate Executive Committee and Dr. Kathy Whatley to discuss initial proposals and structures for the professorships. 
  • We have proposals already in for the first two of our professorships.
  • The first will be a $500K endowment, with $250K coming from the Spangler Foundation and $250K coming from the state.   
  • The second professorship is a $1M endowment, with $250K from the Spangler Foundation, $500K from the state, and $250K from a private donor, which we have already raised.  Again, we are in conversation with the private donor’s estate for finalizing the discipline of the professorship.
  • Both of these endowed professorships are for the rank of full professor.  The positions are for a 5-year appointment with the option to renew.  The donor names are still confidential.


IV.     Approval of minutes

          The minutes of April 12, 2007 and May 3, 2007 (4:30pm) were approved with an editorial correction.

          The minutes of May 3, 2007 (3:15pm) were approved as distributed.


V.      Student Government Association Report

          President Tristyn Card reported for the Student Government Association.

          SGA’s agenda items include the following: 

  • Creation of an online forum via SGA website. It will include comment boxes and detailed calendars for student and campus events.
  • Daycare center proposal.
  • Sustained Dialogue training through the Sustained Dialogue Campus Network.
  • Rock the vote, voter drive.
  • Discount cards for students, faculty and staff.
  • Promote student organization suite.
  • Increased communication with outside departments.
  • Revamping Greenfest and Lovefest.
  • Establishing a Council of Presidents.
  • Revise the elections process.


VI.     Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee Report

          Chair JoAnne McKnight reported for the Chancellor’s Staff Advisory Committee (CSAC).

·         Dr. Gary Nallan is the Faculty Representative on CSAC for 2007-08.

·         Distributed a draft report:  “Building Relationships While Recreating” on CSAC’s first annual end-of-year planning retreat; CSAC will vote on the report next week.


VII.    Executive Committee Report 

          Dr. Peg Downes reported for the Executive Committee. 

          Standing Rules and Rules of Order (SRRO)

      Standing Rules and Rules of Order for 2007-2008

          The Senate discussed recusals, abstentions, and the revised section under the Institutional Development Committee.  Dr. Sabo moved to approve IDC’s revision.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Moseley and passed. 

     Dr. Moseley moved to approve the SRRO as amended.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Sabo.

     The 2007-08 Standing Rules and Rules of Order passed without dissent and became SD0107F. 


          Faculty Assembly Report

          Dr. Downes reported on the Faculty Assembly meeting held last spring. 

          President Erskine Bowles exhorts us:

·         to be good citizens

o        by participating in the UNC Tomorrow  initiative and by appreciating our Legislature which lately has shown signs of being more appreciative of us;

·         to increase Diversity on our campuses

o        Faculty Assembly is strongly supportive of this.  We can learn from other campuses, particularly UNCG, which Mr. Bowles gave as a model;

·         to use to our advantage the Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA) Survey; our Office of Institutional Research is now making arrangements for 100 freshmen to take the CLA this fall and 100 seniors to take in the spring. 

o        Four UNC campuses currently use the CLA.  President Bowles argues the UNC system needs to be proactive in assessing student learning or our nation’s Department of Education will tell us how to do this.

·         Dr. Harold Martin, Vice President for Academic Affairs, is notably supportive of all 16 campuses’ procedures to assess administrators/administrative offices. 

o        This summer Dr. Kathy Whatley completed a form sent by him, to all 16 campuses, asking just how we do this at UNCA.  Dr. Whatley distributed it to a number of people for feedback.

·         Under discussion at Faculty Assembly: 

o        issues relating to Domestic Partners & Health Insurance (which Faculty Assembly supports)

o        issues relating to Criminal Background checks for new faculty: we’ve adopted a comparatively moderate procedure which seems satisfactory.


          Faculty Assembly Charter Changes

          Dr. Downes explained that proposed changes to the Faculty Assembly Charter came to the Faculty Senate late last spring; Dr. Nallan distributed the proposal to Senators at the time but an official vote was not held.  A waiver of the Comer Rule will be necessary to consider the proposal today.

          Dr. Moseley moved to waive the Comer Rule.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Wilson and passed with one dissenting vote.       The document was then considered for Second Reading:

          Dr. Downes explained that the main change being proposed in the “Charter of the Faculty Assembly of the University of North Carolina” is the method for determining the number of delegates from each campus to the faculty assembly.  The current method uses a number cut-off to determine the delegate size.  The proposal states the following: 


Each institution having not more than 300 full-time faculty and professional staff members shall choose two delegates; each institution having from 301 to 600 full-time faculty and professional staff members shall choose three delegates; each institution having 601 to 900 full-time faculty and professional staff members shall choose four delegates; and each institution having more than 900 full-time faculty and professional staff members shall choose five delegates.

The number of Faculty Assembly delegates will remain the same at UNC Asheville. 

          Following a discussion, Dr. Moseley moved to approve the proposal.  The motion was seconded by Dr. Boudreaux.  Ms. McKenzie made three editorial corrections.  The proposal passed as amended without dissent and became Senate Document 0207F.


          Goals of the Executive Committee

·         Diversity initiatives:  

o        Engage with SGA, CSAC and Administration inviting “diversity voices” to give us suggestions and updates. 

o        Waiting for UPC to complete its work on the initial report from the diversity consultants. 

o        Requesting that each Vice Chancellor’s annual report address diversity initiatives, budgetary matters and updates.

·         Supporting and Strengthening University Planning Council (UPC):

o        Some current concerns of UPC – the recent report by the consultants on the diversity initiatives

o        Strategic plan

·         Continuing Development Shared Governance

o        Work on a stronger, clearer faculty voice in cooperation with other entities on campus and expanding face to face discussions.

o        Securing faculty representation on committees (e.g., search for Dean of Admissions; Registrar)

o        Clarification of how faculty are represented on committees (i.e., Enrollment Services, Position Allocation Committee)

o        University Service Council, Greg Boudreaux and Sandra Gravely are working to straighten out many things about the committees on which we service. 

o        Those who served last year as chairs of committees will be asked to submit one page reports on the activities of those committees to Kathy Whatley, the Senate Chair, Sandra Gravely, and the current chair of the pertinent committee.

·         Student Rating of Instruction (SRI)

o        A task force led by Leah Mathews worked for three years on this issue and presented its final report with recommendations to the Senate in April, 2006.  Dr. Bill Haas, who served on the first committee, has agreed to follow up on the report. 

·         Get Our House In Order

o        This is important to the Capital Campaign and to our State Legislature. 


          Non-departmental “Specialty Funds”

          On May 3, 2007, Dr. Lisnerski reported that while reviewing the status of the Distinguished Scholarship Committee and the Honorary Degrees, several faculty members raised questions about a variety of funds that were set aside for specific purposes over the past years.  Questions included whether the following funds exist and, if so, their status:  the Highsmith Visiting Scholar Fund, three Feldman funds, and an Adjunct Faculty Fund.  FWDC asked the University Relations Advisory Committee (URC) to work with Academic Affairs and the Development and Alumni Office in determining the status of these and any other similar funds which may exist, and their purpose(s) and use over the past several years.  The URC will also work with the Alumni and Development Office to determine a reasonable reporting mechanism to the Faculty Senate on the status of these funds.  At FWDC’s request, Ms. McKenzie contacted Vice Chancellor Massey and received the information on May 7th.  URC’s annual report included the information.

          Dr. Downes introduced a Sense of the Senate resolution: 


Sense of the Senate


It is the sense of the Senate that the Vice Chancellor for Alumni and Development report annually on the status of academically related non-departmental "specialty funds."  These include the Highsmith Visiting Scholar Fund, Ruth and Leon Feldman Professor Fund, Ruth Feldman Outstanding Scholar Award Fund, Ruth and Leon Feldman Endowment Fund, UNC Asheville Foundation Adjunct Faculty Fund, as well as other funds that may now or in the future be contained in this category.

The Specialty Funds were described for informational purposes:  


1.  Highsmith Visiting Scholar Fund, established in 1984. “…shall be used exclusively to bring in persons of distinguished achievement for residency at UNC Asheville and the community and will be a source of intellectual stimulation for both campus and community.  The persons shall be chosen by a committee to be designated or established by the Faculty Senate of UNC Asheville.”  Endowment value: $69,052.  Signing authority: Kathy Whatley.  Fund not used in FY ’07; available amount will be returned to principal for fund growth.  Available amount for FY ’08: $2,754.00.


2.  Ruth and Leon Feldman Professor Fund, established in 1983. “…shall be used exclusively to supplement the compensation of two or more professors at UNC Asheville to be selected annually by the faculty of UNC Asheville on the basis of outstanding ability and demonstrated competence in the areas of teaching, research and published writings, not limited to any particular department or discipline.”  Endowment value: $79,951.  Signing authority: Kathy Whatley.  $2,400 used in FY ’07; $3,301 available for spending in FY ’08.


3.  Ruth Feldman Outstanding Scholar Award Fund, established 1987.  “…shall be distributed annually in the form of a stipend to be awarded to the student who is selected by the UNC Asheville faculty in the History Department as the outstanding scholar at UNC Asheville.” Endowment value: $46,161.  Signing authority: Beth Bartlett.  Award presented for FY ’07.  Available amount for FY ’08: $1,886.00.


4.  Ruth and Leon Feldman Endowment Fund, established in 1974.  “…to be used exclusively to provide scholarships for students to attend UNC Asheville.”  Endowment value: $39,255.  Signing authority: Beth Bartlett.  $1,400 used in FY ’07; $1,618 available for FY ’08.


5.  UNC Asheville Foundation Adjunct Faculty Fund.  This is not an endowed fund.  Signing authority: Lisa Friedenberg.  Fund balance: $6,642.39. 


Dr. Wood moved to approve the resolution and the motion was seconded by Dr. Moseley.  The Sense of the Senate passed without dissent and became Senate Document 0307F.

          Transportation Issues

          Dr. Downes talked with Vice Chancellor Pat Hunt about transportation issues a few times this summer, and she and Bill Sabo met with Dr. Hunt last week about some current concerns.  They discussed the need for faculty and staff to park near their buildings.  Vice Chancellor Hunt agreed that the number of spaces needed per building could be recounted, reconsidered and, hopefully, redistributed. 

          The Transportation Committee will meet at least monthly.  Chris Bell and Jim Petranka are the current faculty on this committee and Dr. Bell will give updates to the Senate. 

          There are safety concerns in the area between the Bulldog and Edgewood Road.  Another issue is the transportation of students on campus functions and co-curricular activities.  Although faculty can apply for funds to use toward transporting students, the paperwork required and the process needs to be simplified.  The Senate anticipates better response to faculty requests for assistance with transportation.  Dr. Bell will take these concerns to the Transportation Committee. 


VIII.   Academic Policies Committee Report 

          Dr. Bill Sabo reported that Academic Policies Committee’s first meeting will be September 27th.


IX.     Institutional Development Committee Report

          Dr. John Wood reported for the Institutional Development Committee. 

          IDC met last week and discussed its role in the wake of UPC’s re-emergence.  A wide range of goals for the year were discussed: 

·         Evaluate and assess for both resource implications and consistency with the university’s Mission Statement, Statement on Shared Values, and planning documents.

·         Consider ways to improve poor campus communication such as road projects.

·         Many faculty are feeling overworked

o        there may not be an equal distribution of work among faculty and staff.

·         Program assessment and better review and oversight of various university components

o        Look at institutional assessment data to identify our weaknesses, areas of concern.

o        Contribute to the SACS process without duplicating efforts.

·         Bring a statement to the Senate for action to clarify where we stand on masters programs.

·         As part of UPC, consider IDC’s positions and initiatives.


  X.    Faculty Welfare and Development Committee Report 

          Dr. Greg Boudreaux reported for the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee.

          First Reading:

          FWDC 1:  Proposal to establish Student Affairs Faculty Advisory Committee


  Highlights of on-going work by the Faculty Welfare and Development Committee:

·         Establishing a mentoring program directorship position; since Tucker Cooke stepped down from running the program, it has had good years and bad years.

·         Improving the Convocation.  This a hot button issue; moving it earlier or later or indoors -- some faculty could not participate due to health issues.

·         Streamlining elections by only previewing the 1st two elections – this change cuts down significantly on IT involvement.

·         Next week, FWDC will host two open forums on improving the faculty pay merit system.  Sam Schuman will present two quite different models but it will be the faculty's choice to consider these, keep what we have, or come up with something else.

·         We will be bringing back the Faculty Committee Preference Form (hopefully electronically) and improving the Faculty Committee website so it is searchable and easier to update.

·         Updating the Administrative Offices Survey form (with much help from Institutional Research, Christine Riley, an outside consultant and other folks across campus.)  It will be administered in November.

o        Update the organizational chart which has changed significantly since the survey was last administered in 2000.

o        Split into 2 parts (administrative offices/officers) – We have never directly evaluated administrative officers.


XI.     Old Business

          There was no Old Business.


XII.    New Business

          Elect Alternate to Replace Melissa Burchard

          Dr. Downes reported that Melissa Burchard is on leave this semester and will need to be replaced by an alternate.  The Senate elected alternate Dan Pierce to fill Dr. Burchard’s 2007-2010 term.


XIII.   Adjourn

          Dr. Downes adjourned the meeting at 5:35pm.


Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Gravely

                                           Executive Committee